Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Negative Results
      #18223 - 06/06/01 02:35 AM

I received a nonreactive (i.e., negative) result on Monday. This was 7 months after a pretty low risk exposre that I thought gave me symptoms similar to ARS and one week short of 5 months to an occurence that is so low risk that I don't even know if it warrants testing. The test was only for HIV-1, not HIV-2 nor the O strain. I also did not get an std checkup nor tests for HEP B or HEP C. I was wondering if I had HEP B or C, if this could cause me to falsely test negative at 5,6, or 7 months? Lately, I have had a persistant nonproductive cough, more like a shortness of breath (my lungs feel a little swollen) and I don't smoke. I had this cough back in February and March and it went away, now it has come back (I hope it isn't pneumonia). I don't know what generation of ELISA this test was, to be conservative I am assuming it was a 1st generation, the test was at the county health department and was free and anonymous. Well I hope I really am ok and I am happy that my test results were negative.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
VENT
Unregistered

Re: Negative Results new
      #18225 - 06/06/01 03:28 AM

YOU ARE NEG MY FRIEND KEEP MOVING ON AND STAY SAFE.

GOOD LUCK

VENT

CopperBlue
Expert

Reged: 06/04/01
Re: Negative Results new
      #18234 - 06/06/01 10:59 AM

I think it's safe to say that you are negative. There really is no reason to test for HIV-2 unless you have been in West Africa or had risky contact with someone from there. A 7-month test, even with 1st generation ELISA, is well outside the window period, and you should consider it conclusive.

As for your dry cough - you mentioned you've had it twice. From what I understand, symptoms of ARS don't reoccur - that is, once you experience ARS, it doesn't return later for a second bout.

As far as I know, Hepatits B and C will not affect your ELISA test results. I believe there is a post about this in the "Safe Sex" forum, if you care to sift through and look for it. Keep in mind, though, that according to OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration) Hepatits B is 150 times more contagious than HIV, so if you haven't been vaccinated against it, you may want to consider it. It's a series of three shots, spaced a few months apart, that any doctor's office will be happy to perform. Also, if you are concerned about Hepatitis C (which I believe is most commonly transmitted through contact with the anus and fecal matter - but don't quote me on that), Home Access has a Hepatitis C home testing kit that you can buy at any drugstore, and which is FDA approved.

Finally, if you are worried about STD's, have your doctor take a look. The tests are simple, and it will give you peace of mind. If you have not noticed symptoms of STD's within the past 7 months, chances are you have nothing to worry about.

The best advice I can give you is to relax - you are in the clear! Congratulations :)

Copper

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1394

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3