Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
JillianB
Regular

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: upstate NY
Oraquick test vs. ELISA
      #181471 - 03/21/06 04:27 PM

Okay help... now I'm getting worried again. I tested negative via the Oraquick rapid test(fingerstick), and was feeling good about that... except that I've now read more than 1 post from people who say their oraquick test results were negative, but ELISA positive. What the hell... is it as accurate or not? I've read about false-positives, but not false negatives unless the person was still inside the window period. great... back to being worried again(worried being a huge understatement)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoneRanger
Unregistered

Re: Oraquick test vs. ELISA new
      #181479 - 03/21/06 05:06 PM

I think it has to do with the timing, not the test. For example, someone might take an ELISA at 4 weeks with negative results, and have a true positive Oraquick at 6 weeks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#181480 - 03/21/06 05:07 PM

I would worry more about those rapid test if it was positive ! I think you will be ok. was the test you took the 20 minute result ? can you tell us about the procedure ? I have not taken those tests yet

Anonymous
Unregistered

#181481 - 03/21/06 05:10 PM

they have this down to a science now and they know what they are doing. the olny problem with those rapid tests is you go home with a positive but they still have to do a western blot test to make sure you are positive. that's why I still like the old fashion Elisa test wait 2 weeks come in for a result.

sadface
Legend

Reged: 02/15/06
      #181486 - 03/21/06 05:45 PM

Oh Jillian...I thought you were long gone, as you should be. Try to calm down. If it makes you feel better, go for a blood draw...that is what I do. It takes 2 days for my results to come back. It is the Elisa hiv1/hiv2. Hang in there..I am sure you are going to be just fine!

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #181500 - 03/21/06 06:53 PM

Jillian,
Don't worry, you are correct. Rapid tests are as sensitive and accurate as an ELISA. Just like an ELISA, it must be taken at the appropriate time (3 mos window period).
Soon, rapid tests will be the ONLY screening tests available at county health departments, STD clinics, and outreach centers. ELISAs will only be available through private doctors/ labs. Western Blots will continue to be used as confirmatory tests only...

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #181518 - 03/21/06 08:41 PM

in my case they think i had my oraquick done too soon. you cant judge by what happened to someone else. all situations are different. could have been taken too early or whatever the case may have been.
love and prayers
daisey

Anonymous
Unregistered

#181566 - 03/22/06 01:10 AM

Jillian,

To me a problem with a test is still a problem. When it comes to this there is no room for error. I'm sure that you will be ok, I myself took the old fashioned Eliza, been around for 20 yrs.

LoneRanger
Unregistered

#181605 - 03/22/06 09:32 AM

Okay now, I took the Oraquick 'fingerstick' test at 10 weeks and came back negative. With all this being said, I'm thinking if I should take another Oraquick 'fingerstick' test at the 13wks, or have a blood draw (ELISA)... Any comments?

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #181607 - 03/22/06 09:42 AM

hi

regards from india

Relax jillian, your oraquick result is highly accurate, provided you tested at 12 or more weeks post your exposure.

Rapid tests are right up there with Elisa's in terms of accuracy.

Trust your results.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#181936 - 03/23/06 04:20 PM

It did not have to do with timing!!!! The person said: the test were taken the same day!!! I'm in a similar situation, Tested negative at 16 months with Rapid Test. Planning my dead now... Seriously...

JillianB
Regular

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: upstate NY
      #181951 - 03/23/06 05:11 PM

I don't think you have anything to worry about after 16 months. I assume we're both talking about Daisey... it's true that she tested negative with the rapid test and positive with the ELISA on the same day, but at around 3.5 months she took another rapid test which was faint positive. For whatever reason, the rapid test didn't seem to be sensitive enough to pick up the antibodies that the ELISA did on that day. By 16 months, however, any test will be able to pick up the antibodies your body would have made. Relax, you're negative,

Anonymous
Unregistered

#182377 - 03/25/06 06:30 PM

Too soon? When did you have your oraquick done?

I had oraquick finger sticks done at 5, 9 and 17 weeks. All were negative, but reading these posts, I am very concerned. I continue to have odd symptoms, perhaps psychological...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6933

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3