Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Bev
Unregistered

Home Access
      #18122 - 05/31/01 10:29 AM

So is there anyone else out there who is patiently awaiting their results from Home Access only to be told once again there is a delay?

I bought a Home Access Express Kit on 5/9. Sent it Fed Ex on 5/10. Thought my results would be ready by Monday 5/14. Called, (hands shaking of course) only to be told they weren't ready yet. Called on Tuesday again, not ready. Spoke to a counseler (sp?) told the 1st time they never received my test. Called back later that night and was told they received my test, but they couldn't post the results because they were in the middle of transferring their testing center from Kansas to Chicago. They told me my results would be ready after 5:30 pm (EST) on May 30th.

Called yesterday, again hands shaking, and was told my a message that they were in the middle of trying to get FDA approval to post results from their new testing facility. Ok, thats fine.

Called this morning and was told that it could take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks! WEEKS!

As if the stress of this isn't enough, but I've gone from waiting three days to three weeks to now not knowing when I'll be able to get my results. I'm trying to think of other things, trying not to get myself all stressed out over this, but oh boy is it hard. I've basically got myself convinced I have HIV so that way when I do get the results I won't be so upset about it because it will just be confirming what I already know.

God is probably getting sick and tired of hearing my prayers every day, but its all I can do. I just keep praying and preparing for the worst, while hoping for the best.

I'm sorry to ramble, but I just had to get this off of my chest and I was wondering how many other people out there are in the same boat as I am.

Thanks for listening.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Home Access new
      #18124 - 05/31/01 11:39 AM

I would check out another testing site where you can get tested anonymously at no charge. good luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18127 - 05/31/01 02:39 PM

The same thing happened to me. When you register, they don't tell you about the whole moving mess! I was pissed when I called for my results back in early May only to be told that they wouldn't be ready for 3 weeks! They offered to refund my money, and still give me my test results. I took them up on their offer. I then went through the anonymous testing site at Specialized Testing (Quest Labs) and took a test that day, got the results back the next. For my money, testing that way is worth the extra $50 (over the cost of a Home Access test). The results are fast, accurate and reliable. Home Access has a real public relations nightmare on their hands, if you ask me. I'd call and get my $$ back and get tested through Specialized Testing.

Good luck!

Bev
Unregistered

#18130 - 05/31/01 04:26 PM

Where can I find information on Specialty Testing? I'm on the east coast, NYC area is there a lab around here?

Thanks

CopperBlue
Unregistered

#18131 - 05/31/01 04:57 PM

Hi Bev,

I am also currently suffering through this mess with Home Access. I completely flipped when I called on May 30 expecting my results and was told they were waiting for FDA approval. None of the counselors I've spoken to have any idea when results will be available, but they did offer to refund my money.

I am also in NYC, and so I went to the Riverside Health Clinic on the corner of 28th Street and 9th Avenue to have an anonymous blood draw. The place is filthy and depressing - I would not recommend going there - but they do use 3rd generation ELISA. However, the counselor I spoke to beforehand told me that Home Access is "not very reliable," which only served to worsen my fears because I have relied on Home Access many times in the past. On the other hand, she did ask the medical director, who said there was nothing wrong with Home Access, so...

I personally am tired of this entire mess. Between Home Access and their nonsense, and Riverside's cluelessness, I have no idea whether I'm coming or going anymore. Needless to say, my anxiety is at an all-time high, and I'm stuck waiting for my test results from Riverside until June 14.

Bev, my advice would be to call the GMHC (1-800-AIDS-NYC) and see what they recommend as far as testing in the NYC area. And make sure you get that refund from Home Access, because the entire situation is ridiculous. Let me know what you find out!

Bev
Unregistered

#18132 - 05/31/01 05:10 PM

Thanks CopperBlue.

So I fibbed a little - I'm actually in central Jersey. There is a testing center in a hospital near me so I'm trying to gather the courage to do it all over again. I have to find out what the hours are and how soon you get the results. I'm almost to the point of going to my doctor and just saying hey, think I might have been exposed to HIV, can you test me?

But since they are my parents doctor also and I've been going there since I was 11, (28 now) this too is a frightening thought. I totally know what you're saying about the coming and going. I have my moments where everything is fine and dandy and then an hour later I'm absolutely convinced I'm going on meds soon.

I have a four year old daughter, so no matter the outcome, I'm going to be here for her for as long as possible. She is my shining light and I want to be sure I see grow.

Never in my life have I encountered a situation as scary as this one and trust me, I've been through some doozies.

I guess no matter what, I just need closure, know what I mean?

Thanks again guys for letting me vent.

Bev

CopperBlue
Unregistered

#18133 - 05/31/01 05:32 PM

Hi again, Bev -

Just wanted to wish you luck no matter what you decide to do. I'm sure there are public clinics and hospitals in Jersey that will test you either anonymously or confidentially. I also think going through your doctor's office is a wise choice, although I can understand your concern since he is a family doctor that knows you well. However, bear in mind that asking him for the test simply means you are looking after your own health and making good decisions for yourself - NOT that you are infected or a bad and evil person. If you do test at your doctor's, though, you will be tested confidentially - meaning that if you test positive, the state department of health will be notified. However, being tested confidentially also means you will receive a copy of your test results, whether negative or positive, in case you'd like to show future partners, etc.

Try not to worry too much. I am one of the "worried well" who tests and tests repeatedly even after minimal-risk exposures, and every time I've convinced myself that I am infected, I've been wrong. HIV is not easy to get, remember that. Don't let this mess with Home Access throw you. Focus on your daughter, and think of the wonderful lifetime you have with her ahead of you! :)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1601

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3