Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Mandatory Testing
      #180075 - 03/15/06 04:54 PM

HIV2AIDS brought up an interesting point. That mandatory testing would rid us of the stigma that surrounds being HIV+. I'm just wondering, because over the years, the impression I've received from people scared to test was not that they were worried about the actual test. They were worried about how their lives would change for the worse and what would people say if they had a postive result.

[quote]
[quote] I think you are incorrect about how it would cut down on the stigma. After all the reason people avoid testing now is the stigma attached to this disease and the fact they would have to live with it if infected.[quote]

... i dont agree, more don't get tested out of fear of what people will think if they are so much as are seen going into an hiv clinic, than if they are diagnosed with it. That stigma would die, when everyone was made to test, it would become "routine" instead of gossip targets, jobs wouldnt be descriminating when they saw the REAL numbers of this disease. [/quote]

OK so we're both postive and the why or why not of testing is not an issue for us, so let's turn this over to the Negative folks. I really would like to hear the about the perceptions of negative people in terms of what they think it means to test.

In the realm of fearing to test what carries more weight as a reason for you not to test.

Fear someone you know might see you walking into the clinic or the fear of what people would say if they knew you were HIV+?

I'm not being a jerk, I really would like to know if you all think mandatory testing would get rid of the stigma that those of us with HIV live with.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Mandatory Testing new
      #180101 - 03/15/06 06:13 PM

if the government wanted to control hiv this would be just one step

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#180134 - 03/15/06 07:56 PM

Sometimes it's the great unknown that is hardest to handle. However wishing for HIV just so that you have a definitive answer isn't the best use of wishing.

I tend to agree that a lot, perhaps not all of your symptoms are based in anxiety, stress, what have you. Seriously, have you thought about some counseling. So far doctors haven't seen to be helping. What have you got to lose. Nothing.

If anything, a counselor could help you cope while you find out what is physically wrong with you, could help you keep from melting down like yesterday. Just a thought.

Maybe you have some strange illness, but it isn't fatal and perhaps it runs its course over a year or so. That's not out of the realm of possiblities. Mono takes a long time to clear up. EBV is a long term illness, but certainly one that can be dealt with. If you're gonna wish for disease, wish for something a bit less life threatening.

Now. No takers on my question? Seriously, what has been the greatest fear in regards to getting tested?

hello123
Regular

Reged: 11/07/05
      #180150 - 03/15/06 08:32 PM

I'll answer your question, since I postponed testing for five years after I had unprotected sex. I wasn't scared of someone seeing me take the test, or taking the actual test, but having to deal with the results if they were positive. If I didn't test I could just go on with my normal life, but if I tested than I might have to make some changes. Do you understand what I'm saying? It's hard to explain.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #180177 - 03/15/06 09:51 PM

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #180231 - 03/16/06 09:46 AM

hi

regards from india

Jackie i agree with what you say, you are spot on! however i guess spreading and sharing more information pertaining to hiv along with what you suggest looks good to me!

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#180234 - 03/16/06 09:58 AM

Well we can agree to disagree.

I once told a co-worker that I had know for years that I was HIV+. Now this was just a casual relationship. Not like we were ever going to have sex. His first reaction. He instinctually stepped away from me. Now his reaction was not a conscience one. It just proves how deep the fear of this disease has enter the psyche. Mandatory testing will NEVER get rid of that.

EDUCATION is the key. Knowledge has always been the key to dissolution of prejudices and stigmas.

While I can see the merits of mandatory testing that doesn't mean it would work or it's a good idea. The pitfalls are dangerous. It's taking away a person's right to choose, very dangerous. The government gets involved in personal lives even more. EXTREMELY dangerous. It will never allievate the fear of this disease, but will help pinpoint exactly WHO to fear.

Mandatory interment of Japanense American on AMERICAN soil during WWII was thought to be a good idea.

Giving everyone a social security number for use only by the SSA was thought to be a good idea, yet today it's a number used to track all of us, by just about everyone.

Once Pandora's box has been opened, it can't be closed. History has shown us different.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2821

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3