Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I freakin knew it"
      #179760 - 03/14/06 04:33 PM

I knew that news was going to come out regarding the possibility of the rapids not always picking this shit up. I knew it!!!! I'm the one would called the FDA and told them I really think there could be a problem. I told them about Daisey and some others who passed the Ora but showed pos on the Eliza standard test. I talked to the McPhearson guy at the FDA, I not sure if it's the same one in the article on the home page of the body, but this shit is crazy. They are trying to cover some of it up by saying that there doing it for home access, but thats not true. They are doing it cause there is problems with them. It all started when they were getting false pos and confirmed to be a mistake, well my question to the FDA was what are you doing to insure we don't have any false negs, he could not answer. I really like the Dept. of HIV thru the FDA, he has called me back on several occasions and they do care, but this truly is some shit. If you don't believe me call yourself, and look way back to Daisey's situtation. This shit is driving me crazy!!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: "I freakin knew it" new
      #179764 - 03/14/06 04:53 PM

I guess the best thing to do is to take the standard Elisa test (blood draw) at or after 13 weeks. This seems to be the best test one can take. If the elisa is -ve after the established guidelines (3 months for low risk and 6 months for high risk confirmation) then this should be enough testing. If the Elisa is positive then a confirmatory WB should be taken/requested

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179766 - 03/14/06 04:58 PM

Calm down. The home test issue came out before the false NEGATIVES. Also, if you must pull Daisey into this, re-read all of her posts. By her own admission, she has a very unusual case.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179770 - 03/14/06 05:09 PM

I think you misread the article. I am quoting "The committee recommended a multiple-phase experiment of home HIV tests, which would explore whether people could perform the test correctly and what psychological risks exist for those who test HIV-positive. According to the Allentown Morning Call, the hearing was a "critical step" in the process that could lead to the approval of OraQuick for use as an at-home test " This is to make the oral tests available for at home use...NOT because they are questioning the accuracy of the tests. They want to be sure that the test is okay for at home non clinical use!!!! This is a good thing...NOT a bad thing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179775 - 03/14/06 05:24 PM

Yep. screw those Rapids, I'm sticking with the old ones. I think it's a cover up too.

sadface
Legend

Reged: 02/15/06
      #179788 - 03/14/06 05:48 PM

I strictly do blood only...eliza and WB all the way!

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #179830 - 03/14/06 08:52 PM

From my personal experience thus far, I can say the rapid tests have proven to be accurate. I tested NEG at 6 weeks via OraQuick Rapid Advance Oral Swab and then again at 12 weeks. I also tested NEG at 13 weeks via standard blood test (ELISA).

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179894 - 03/14/06 10:59 PM

Actually in the clinical studies by the manufacturer, the OraQuick oral fluid test correctly identified 99.3% of people who were infected with HIV-1 (sensitivity) and 99.9% of people who were not infected with HIV-1 (specificity). The Food and Drug Administration expects clinical laboratories to obtain similar results. I don't know why everyone is saying that test is not accurate, it is approved by FDA and recommended by CDC so I don't know where you are getting this information from

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #179917 - 03/15/06 12:36 AM

hi

regards from india

It seems rapid tests are as accurate as an Elisa test...

Yes false positive/negative scenarios may occur, however if that inded takes place you have western blot to confirm.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179958 - 03/15/06 09:41 AM

Are you all talking about Oraquick fingerstick, oral swab, or both??

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #179976 - 03/15/06 10:31 AM

the rapid test are just as reliable as the elisa, ,if anything the problem with the test were they were too sensitive, there were false posiive, the false neg only happen when the test is taken in the window period. love and peace

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #180266 - 03/16/06 11:45 AM

All OraQuick Rapid tests are highly reliable, no matter the specimen (oral fluid, blood, plasma)...

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2891

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3