Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post nasal drip??..paranoid
      #179759 - 03/14/06 04:22 PM

I've read quite a few posts on here now, and I know the phrase...."don't judge by symptoms"...so yes...I know that.

Basicly Im just looking for some info.

Symptoms (if a person ever does have them) of early HIV infection can vary by degree, and by person. But one I ran accross was post nasal drip??!!!

For the past week or so, I've had this, or what I think this is anyway! Sore throat on one side only, junk in the back of my throat that I can feel....somewhat of an earache, and just today, I see a little white pimple like thing forming in the back of my throat. (hoping its just from throat irritation)..

So my question is, would/COULD this POSSIBLY by an ARS symptom?? (3 weeks past exposure). And not that its worth anything, but I did do a rapid Oraquick test yesterday....Negative.

I've had no fevers, no flu like symptoms, no thrush, etc etc......just this. But now I've been paranoid after seeing post nasal drip as a symptom of ARS. Wouldn't there be other things to go along with it IF it was an ARS symptom?

Hope I made sense with all that!!! Again..I know...don't go by symptoms!!!!

Just trying to get some clairification I guess.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
Re: Post nasal drip??..paranoid new
      #179762 - 03/14/06 04:42 PM

Sore throat on one side is most likely from the post nasal drip....post nasal drip is so unbelievable common that you can NOT base and HIV suspicion on that (or any) symptom. The little white pimple thing could be nothing, or could be the start of strep....so, keep an eye on things and see a doctor if they get worse or don't improve. I wouldn't let the symptoms stress you too much....and if you believe you are at risk, get tested (as you did once!) I know that this is of little help, as we all look to hear "Negative"...but the odds are in your favor. You are in my prayers.

midwest4u
Regular

Reged: 03/01/06
Loc: ILLINOIS
      #179763 - 03/14/06 04:50 PM

Well said Faith.

Also keep in mind that we are still in the middle of cold and flu season too.

--------------------
In the end only kindness matters - Jewel

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179769 - 03/14/06 05:08 PM

yea, it is all on one side. My throat isn't even red!! I just feel that junk running down the back! (ick!) That little bump kinda white..kinda clear, does have some redness around it (not much)...but I think its probably from irritation. My throat is kinda ...itchy.... I guess you could say!

I know you can't dianose by symptoms. I just wondered (and yea, was secretly kinda hoping) someone would say "NO....JUST having a one sided sore throat isn't an indicator of HIV"....So yes, I was hoping for someone to reassure me! :)

I will re-test again..."symptoms" or no "symptoms". That's a given.

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #179771 - 03/14/06 05:12 PM

Itchy....could be allergies which are frequently the cause of post nasal drip. I woulnd't stress over the "symptoms" Chances are you are neg.....test for peace of mind and then always be safe.

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #179841 - 03/14/06 09:08 PM

Your symptoms don't sound at all like ARS. Furthermore, ARS almost always includes a fever. It sounds more to me like a bad cold. Unfortunately, 3 weeks is too soon for an OraQuick. What was your exposure so we may better assesss your risk?

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179897 - 03/14/06 11:16 PM

Just got back from the doctor. I don't have an infection of any kind...she acutally said its just "fluid". Fluid in my right ear, and some in my sinuses. No infection though!!! She did say my nose looked dry, and told me to try some saline spray. Other than that she gave me some mega-decongestant to clear things up!

I told her my bedroom is VERY cold at night....not to mention its cold dry air. I need a humidifier or something!!! So she said that could also be irritating my throat...

I think this problem is solved!!

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #179916 - 03/15/06 12:32 AM

hi

regards from india

I doubt your symptoms are related to ARS. ARS symptoms are more often concurrent and of febrile nature.

Having said that conclusion of your status based on symptoms experienced is not appropriate. If you feel you may have put yourself at risk, you may want to test.

Your 3 week negative result is encouraging, however a 12 week test is considered definitive.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179949 - 03/15/06 09:16 AM

Im pretty sure its not ARS....cause now my daughter has the same thing. (without the fever).....

we must've caught a cold or something....

we've both been pretty run down, not sleeping well, so Im sure that hasn't helped anything.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179950 - 03/15/06 09:16 AM

Im pretty sure its not ARS....cause now my daughter has the same thing. (without the fever).....

we must've caught a cold or something....

we've both been pretty run down, not sleeping well, so Im sure that hasn't helped anything.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179951 - 03/15/06 09:17 AM

Sorry...dang double posts!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6959

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3