Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Training Guide for the CDC Window Period
      #179635 - 03/13/06 11:49 PM

I read a previous post regarding the CDC's recommendation regarding the window period. It is clearly written in there training manual that all people infected will have a positive test within 4-6 weeks. Only in RARE ocassions, does it take up to 3 months.

I guess this clarifies the window period debate. I link is below on page 11 or module 6-11.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf

Hope that helps some people out.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
Re: Training Guide for the CDC Window Period new
      #179661 - 03/14/06 09:04 AM

okay i swore to myself i would not answer to any anonymous post but i went to read this chapter as i have read this manual in training anyway but i wanted to make sure that is was one and same. what i have read is that yes most will seroconvert in the 4-6 week period, but science doesnt agree what most is 60 70 80 95 percent everyone has a different opinion, they also state that the 3 month is a confirming test after having a high risk exposure the statement below from the cdc manual doesnt really clear up anything. i for one would love to have a test out there that would be 100 percent , immediate diagnosing but nothing in science is 100 percent . It still stands as far as "definitive" test results is 3 months, 13 weeks,12 weeks or 90 days which ever you want to call it but i would not rely on a 6 week test as proof positive that you are negative. it may give someone comfort and i have advised people of that but still need to use the 3 month as a definitive test love and peace

" A negative result usually means that a person is not infected with the hiv virus. In rare instances, a person with a negative or inconclusive test result may be in the window period. This is the period of time between the onset of infection with hiv and the appearance of detectable antibodies to the virus.The window period lasts 4 to 6 weeks but occasinally up to 3 months after hiv exposure. persons who are at high risk who initially test negative should be retested at 3 months after exposure to confirm results."

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179662 - 03/14/06 09:13 AM

Hi Shades...The post wasn't suppose to make people on this forum think that they can get an accurate test at 6 weeks. I posted it to confirm what you and other's on this board have stated, that a 3 month test is conclusive.

Hope that helps.

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #179664 - 03/14/06 09:21 AM

sorry if i jumped in too soon, as this is such a sensitive subject with me as i have heard people in the clinic tell me they didnt seroconvert until 8 or 10 weeks. dont know if they are lying or it is the truth i just know the confusion they felt at the results, funny but watching golden girls right now and the episode is about hiv testing. how ironic. love and peace

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #179674 - 03/14/06 09:59 AM

hi

regards from india

Thnx:) for clearing up the 3 or 6 month fuss!

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2621

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3