Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

6 Month Window, Shernoff, Wasting Life Post?
      #17916 - 05/20/01 05:07 AM

I saw a recent post dated May 15, 2001 on Michael Shernoff's mental health column. The post was entitled "Wasting Life" and in it, a man was talking about how depressed he was that he had had unsafe sex (I believe with another man) once and gotten HIV from it. He further infected his wife through one unsafe sex act. He said that he developed symptoms 4 weeks later and TESTED NEGATIVE UP UNTIL THE 6TH MONTH. So, if it took him 6 months to test positive, does this mean that the 3 MONTH WINDOW PERIOD is probably not very valid? Therefore, would a 7 week or 8 week test be almost negligable or practically no good? I do beliee that the man's story is true, who else would make up such a long post for the hell of it? Anyways, should we all retest at 6 months, being that her eon thebody.com there is a man with an anecdotal report saying that he tested negative up until the 6th month? Again, I don't know if he tested every month, or tested once during the window period and again at 6 months, he didn't state how often he tested. I am goign in for a post 6 month test anyways soon, I tested negative at 7 weeks and for awhile, I felt pretty confident with those results, (though not 100%, as a 3 or 6 month test may've made me feel). Now, I am fearing for all of us, and you all that have taken a 3 month test as conclusive. I am fearing for us after reading that post on Shernoff's column? Any replies????? I appreciate it.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 6 Month Window, Shernoff, Wasting Life Post? new
      #17918 - 05/20/01 10:32 AM

There are too many gaps in his story for anyone to draw any conclusions. 1) Did he test at 3 months, or not. Maybe he was supposed to, but just didn't get around to it. He said himself he thought he was in the clear. 2) He said he gave it to his wife. Is he sure? She had never had a negative test for a baseline. She may have infected him and just let him take the guilt. Etc, etc. Bottom line is you are drawing conclusions about your health based on unclear facts about a complete stranger. My guess is the whole story wasn't being told. He admitted to a great amount of guilt he probably even in his mind has tried to alivate a great amount of his guilt by becoming the harmless victim.

All that aside. Even if he is to be believed, seroconversion with extending circumstances (HCV) can happen rarely. I guess you will have to decide if you want to worry about this the rest of life. The choice is yours.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17920 - 05/20/01 05:48 PM

The above poster has made some very good points. I'm sure there is quite a bit more to his story than he is providing.

First, he states that it was low risk. Then he states that he had unprotected sex and he also contracted gonorrea(sp?) and HCV. As you know, HCV is rarely transmitted sexually so you know that his risk was definitely more than low. There are too many holes and inconsistancies in his story to start questioning your own status.

Test at 3 months and 6 months (if you wish) and then move on. If you search long and hard enough, you will find a story to start making you doubt. The doctors have done the research...take their advice about testing. Best of luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17923 - 05/20/01 07:17 PM

His story is no doubt out of context. Either he is totally full of it or there is more to the story. I wouldn't use his story as any valid information.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17924 - 05/20/01 08:42 PM

That person's story is bullsh!t. He should call the CDC to get into their records as a long seroconverter. Very smart too, he knows about the delay in serconversion due to cross-infection with Hep C.

People, don't buy into it. He must be having a laugh at the worried well right now. Test at baseline, test at 3 months and take a last test at 24 weeks to ease your minds. But essentially, if you are negative at 3 months you're fine.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17925 - 05/20/01 08:52 PM

A lot of incredible things to this story:

1.) Person says it was ONE encounter (first time ever) of a relatively low risk act(possibly oral sex?)

2.) He transmitted it to his wife in just ONE encounter (what are the chances of low risk transmission and hetero. transmission in just ONE encounter both times?).

3.) He had ARS after four weeks, but didn't test pos. until six months.

If the story is as he tells it ..... I am truly sorry for this very unlucky man. However, it's very hard for me to accept this story 100%.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18017 - 05/25/01 09:06 PM

Thanks to all for the helpful information about this post...I saw that story too, and it concerned me, although I did notice the man wrote that it was "low risk" and then basically admitted to having unprotected anal sex. Good work, all you detectives out there! Reassurance is always welcome to worrywarts like me :)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1794

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3