Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can I breathe easy now?
      #178609 - 03/06/06 02:35 PM

I have not tested yet....although I plan to.

My question is, I have only had one exposure risk, and that person tested negative approx. 8 weeks or so after what would have been his last "exposure". Therefore, since he is negative at 8 weeks, can I breathe a sigh of relief that I am also negative?? Is 8 weeks "good enough"??

*As I said, I will still probably get tested just to be on the safe side....just hoping I can relax and not worry till then!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrHappy
Regular

Reged: 10/21/05
Re: Can I breathe easy now? new
      #178621 - 03/06/06 03:02 PM

You can't go by other peoples results. You need to test yourself to make sure you don't have HIV. You haven't mentioned your risk.. If you do maybe you dont need to test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#178622 - 03/06/06 03:10 PM

How can you not somewhat go by the other person's results?? He was my only "risk"...and he has been tested negative....out to 6-8 weeks. I was tested just a couple months ago (negative)....and have only been with him since then.

It was a one time unprotected vaginal intercourse.

MrHappy
Regular

Reged: 10/21/05
      #178628 - 03/06/06 03:29 PM

Because the window period isnt 6 to 8 weeks. Its 13 weeks by the CDC. Thats why. Its always better to test yourself and not depend on what someone else tells you. Go test ! Im betting you will come out of this smelling like roses.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#178629 - 03/06/06 03:32 PM

I'll be testing. Its just too soon for me yet...not even four weeks. So I was hoping to use his test as some reassurance till then......thats all.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#178670 - 03/06/06 08:15 PM

Obviously you know the window period (13 weeks), but you also know that if he were infected that he would LIKELY test positive by 8 weeks. I think you can take some reassurance in it, as long as you don't use it as an "all clear" to have more unprotected sex, since you don't know his status (if he's had unprotected sex in the last 3 months) (not that I think that was your intention of this post- just leaning on the side of caution.)
It was a one time risk of exposure, and he tested negative when most infected would have tested positive. I'd take that as a good sign, and test yourself at 3 months. The odds are in your favor.

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #178675 - 03/06/06 09:04 PM

hi

regards from india

Concluding your status based on other people's status is inappropriate.

If you feel worried you may put yourself at risk, getting tested is the only way you can know.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#178677 - 03/06/06 09:09 PM

since he was/is my only exposure and he is negative, I guess yes...I assumed that was a good indicator for me. Will I still be getting tested....YES. But I just wanted to know if his negative status, was a good indication of what I will also be.

As I said, he is the ONLY exposure I have had.

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
      #178720 - 03/07/06 08:37 AM

How do you know he was negative? Did he tell you that or did you see the actual results? If he is your only "exposure" and he is negative why would you worry. You said yourself you should test at 13 weeks. Never go by anybody elses results. Also to put your own mind at ease.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2053

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3