Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Top Gun
Unregistered

CoInfection - What's the verdict?
      #178515 - 03/05/06 10:36 PM

Hi,

I was exposed to blood ~12 weeks ago and have just recieved my "conclusive" negative result. But is it really conclusive in this case, given that I may have potentially been infected with HCV as well?

I have heard that coinfection with HCV will absolutely NOT affect the window period, but have also heard that it can push it out to 6 months. So who do I believe? If it does not affect seroconversion, why not? Surely the immune system is fighting off 2 serious infections at the same time and this will slow down to production of detectable antibodies right? Or wrong? You can see why I'm confused.

Then there is the case with the 2 health care workers who took >6 months to seroconvert (I'm sure everyone is sick to death of hearing about these unusual cases). If coinfection wasn't responsible then what was?

Final question is would coinfection affect the duation of ARS? been experiencing strange symptoms for 6+ weeks now.

Any insight is truly appreciated. I have tried doing my own research - figured someone out there would have done a study on this - but it seems noone has. So yeah, anyone with a bit (or a lot) of knowledge - you'd be easing this mind greatly!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
Re: CoInfection - What's the verdict? new
      #178516 - 03/05/06 10:45 PM

wish i could be an expert for you but i am not. i have tested people who had been exposed to both and have never come up with the delay in seroconversion . anything is possible with the human body due to its complexiities. but this is not the norm. the immune system is very capable of fighting more than one disease at a time.. the part where it falls is when you have had been immune compromised from having a disease for awhile that the immune system might not be up to par. hope this helps. love and peace

Anonymous
Unregistered

#178527 - 03/06/06 06:51 AM

As far as I know the cases that you are referring of seroconversion after 3 months are cases of nurses which took PEP the day after... and this is the reason for late seroconversion.
are you taking PEP ??

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #178551 - 03/06/06 09:43 AM

hi

regards from india

Your 12 week result is definitive...you are HIV negative, period!

Further testing is unwarrented.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Top Gun
Unregistered

#178561 - 03/06/06 10:11 AM

Thanks all so much for your replies - they are appreciated a great deal!

I didn't take PEP, so there is no issue there. It's so frustrating trying to find a definitive answer or a study that may point me in the right direction and getting absolutely nowhere!

So I am assuming that this means those that were simultaneously coinfected and seroconverted after 3 months (let alone 6) were rare cases and definately not the norm.

In essence this means, worst case scenario: my test was a very, very good predictor that I will not get a scary call from the bloodbank when I donate in a next month. Best case (and most likely) scenario: I'm conclusively HIV-

Have I got the hang of this? :)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1008

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3