Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Triple

Reged: 03/19/01
Kaposi's
      #17845 - 05/14/01 01:15 PM

I am providing the updates I promised. Yes I do have Kaposi's Sarcoma, and yes I have tested negative four times (3 elisa's and 1 DNA PCR). The doctors say they have never seen someone my age have Kaposi's and not HIV. They are wondering why I show up negative and are contemplating a viral culture. Maybe I am that rare case! Hope everyone is negative!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Kaposi's new
      #17847 - 05/14/01 02:21 PM

Glad to see you are so calm about perhaps being that rare case!

It's true it does look like you are that rare case. To have KS and not have AIDS while certainly not unheard of is uncommon. Of course if you did have AIDS you having this would be still be rare since it seems to strike in Africa or gay men more often.

Surprising your doctors seem more concerned about figuring out whether you have HIV or not, than treating the KS. If it was me, I'd be yelling for a referral to an Oncolgist

What is Kaposi's sarcoma?
Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) is a disease in which cancer (malignant) cells are found in the tissues under the skin or mucous membranes that line the mouth, nose, and anus. KS causes red or purple patches (lesions) on the skin and/or mucous membranes and spreads to other organs in the body, such as the lungs, liver, or intestinal tract.

Until the early 1980's, Kaposi's sarcoma was a very rare disease that was found mainly in older men, patients who had organ transplants, or African men. With the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) epidemic in the early 1980's, doctors began to notice more cases of Kaposi's sarcoma in Africa and in gay men with AIDS. Kaposi's sarcoma usually spreads more quickly in these patients.

If there are signs of KS, a doctor will examine the skin and lymph nodes carefully (lymph nodes are small bean-shaped structures that are found throughout the body; they produce and store infection-fighting cells). The doctor also may order other tests to see if the patient has other diseases.

The chance of recovery (prognosis) depends on what type of Kaposi's sarcoma the patient has, the patient's age and general health, and whether or not the patient has AIDS.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1603

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3