Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Magic
Unregistered

Puzzled
      #177371 - 02/26/06 10:03 PM

Would PN at 11 weeks after infection be fairly inconsistant? What I am experiencing started a few days ago and began with tingling feet and arms (not hands). All limbs had pins and needles later that night, at the same time.
Since then I have had burning sensations all over, feeling like my feet were cold even though they weren't and feelings like I was being pricked by a pin in my fingers. There are times when I go for a few hours without experiencing any of this. The symptoms have also improved within the last 2 days.
If PN is reaching my arms and upper legs, this would indicate advanced nerve damage yes? And if this is true wouldn't I the symptoms only get worse from here on out, not better? And would symptoms of PN be more consistant (e.g. always a burning sensation or always a tingling sensation and generally in the same area - not in completely random parts of the body)?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
Re: Puzzled new
      #177375 - 02/26/06 10:15 PM

looks like you would need to be a little bit farther along than 11 weeks to develope PN. i'd just relax. you know depression can cause the same types of symptoms. go to webmd.com. it's a pretty good resource. don't go by symptoms... my symptoms were consistant with ovarian cancer, i turned out to be HIV+. the doc was just as shocked.

Polyneuropathy

Polyneuropathy accounts for the greatest number of peripheral neuropathy cases. It is caused when many peripheral nerves throughout the body malfunction at the same time. Polyneuropathy can have a wide variety of causes, including exposure to certain toxins, poor nutrition (particularly vitamin B deficiency), and complications from diseases such as cancer or kidney failure.

One of the most common forms of chronic polyneuropathy is diabetic neuropathy, a condition that occurs in diabetics that is the result of poorly controlled blood sugar levels. Though less common, diabetes can also cause mononeuropathy, often characterized by weakness of the eye or of the thigh muscles.

The most common symptoms of polyneuropathy are tingling, numbness, burning pain and loss of sensation in the arms and legs. Because people with chronic polyneuropathy often lose their ability to sense temperature and pain, they can burn themselves and develop open sores as the result of injury or prolonged pressure. If the nerves serving the organs are involved, diarrhea or constipation may result, as well as loss of bowel or bladder control. Sexual dysfunction and abnormally low blood pressure also can occur.

Joints are particularly vulnerable to stress in people with polyneuropathy because they are often insensitive to pain.

One of the most serious polyneuropathies is Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare disease that strikes suddenly when the body's immune system attacks nerves in the body. Symptoms tend to appear quickly and worsen rapidly, sometimes leading to paralysis. Early symptoms include weakness, tingling, and loss of sensation in the legs that eventually spreads to the arms. Blood pressure problems, heart rhythm problems and breathing difficulties may occur in critical cases. However, despite the severity of the disease, recovery rates are good when patients receive treatment early.

Who Gets Peripheral Neuropathies?

Neuropathies occur by one of three methods:

Acquired neuropathies, for example, are caused by environmental forces like poisoning, diabetes, trauma, infection or an illness.
Hereditary neuropathy is not as common. It is caused by inherited genetic defects.
Idiopathic neuropathy is from an unknown cause. As many as a third of all neuropathies are classified this way, where the cause can't be explained.
What Causes Peripheral Neuropathy?

Many things can cause peripheral neuropathies so it is often difficult to discern the cause. In fact, in up to one in three cases, the cause cannot be determined. Diabetes is responsible for another third. Other known causes include several rare inherited diseases, alcoholism, toxins and certain environmental agents, poor nutrition or vitamin deficiency, trauma due to compression, herniated discs in the back, certain kinds of cancer, conditions where nerves are mistakenly attacked by the body's own immune system or damaged by an overaggressive response to injury, particular medications, kidney disease, thyroid disease, and infections such as Lyme disease, shingles or AIDS.

Hereditary Neuropathy

Hereditary neuropathies are diseases of the peripheral nerves that are genetically passed from parent to child. The most common of these is Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 1, which is characterized by weakness in the legs and, to a lesser degree, the arms. Caused by degeneration of the insulation that normally surrounds the nerves and helps them conduct the electrical impulses needed for them to trigger muscle movement, symptoms usually appear between mid-childhood and age 30.

Medically reviewed by Michael Aronson, MD, August 2005.

SOURCES: Bromberg M., "An approach to the evaluation of peripheral neuropathies," Seminars In Neurology, June 2005, Issue: 25(2):153-9. National Institute of Neurologic Disorders and Stroke (NINDS). The Official Patient's Sourcebook on Peripheral Neuropathy: A Revised and Updated Directory for the Internet Age, Icon Health Publications, October 1, 2002. Sghirlanzoni A,; Pareyson D,; Lauria G.; "Sensory neuron diseases," Lancet Neurology, June 2005, 4(6):349-61.

© 2005 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

Understanding Peripheral Neuropathy -- Treatment

WebMD Medical Reference

The Basics | Symptoms | Detection & Treatment
How Do I Know If I Have It?

If your doctor suspects you may have a form of peripheral neuropathy, he or she may refer you to a neurologist, a doctor who specializes in diseases of the nerves. The neurologist (or your own doctor) will begin by taking a history of your symptoms and examining you for signs of muscle weakness, numbness, and impaired reflexes. You may need blood and urine tests to check for vitamin or metabolic deficiencies and the presence of any underlying disease or genetic defect that may be affecting your nerve function.

You may also be given an electromyography (EMG) test, which is used to assess nerve and muscle function and measure the electrical properties of the nerves. Using an EMG, physicians can often pinpoint the abnormal nerves and determine which part of their structure is damaged.

Nerve and muscle biopsies may also be performed and may provide valuable information about the type and cause of the neuropathy. A spinal tap, or lumbar puncture, is sometimes recommended to help identify infection or inflammation in the spinal cord.

If anyone in your family has been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy or has had similar symptoms, your doctor may want to review their medical records or examine them to look for potential hereditary links to your condition.

What Are the Treatments?

Effective treatment and prognosis of peripheral neuropathies relies heavily on the origin of the nerve damage. For example, peripheral neuropathies caused by vitamin deficiencies can often be halted, even reversed, with vitamin therapy and an improved diet. Likewise, nerve damage brought on by alcohol abuse can often be improved by avoiding alcohol. Peripheral neuropathies caused by toxic substances or medications can often be corrected in much the same way. When neuropathy is related to diabetes, careful monitoring of blood sugar levels may slow its progression and curb symptoms.

Early diagnosis and treatment of peripheral neuropathy is important because the peripheral nerves have a limited capacity to regenerate, and treatment may only stop the progression, not reverse damage that is already present. If you have developed severe impairment, you may need physical therapy to help retain strength and avoid muscle cramping and spasms.

Surgical treatment may be recommended for people with nerve damage from injury or compression. Mobility aids, such as a cane, walker, or wheelchair, may be helpful. For pain, your doctor may prescribe pain medication.

How Can Peripheral Neuropathy Be Prevented?

Although there is no way to prevent all neuropathies, general guidelines for maintaining good health apply. Eating a nutritious diet, exercising regularly and abstaining from excessive alcohol consumption can all help prevent nerve damage. Avoiding injuries and toxic chemicals and carefully managing underlying disorders, such as diabetes, can also help avert peripheral neuropathy.

Medically reviewed by Michael Aronson, MD, August 2005.

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #177378 - 02/26/06 10:16 PM

what you are describing is associated with anxiety . pins and needles in arms and legs randomsly or steady most of time is due from stress. peripheral neuropathy that is associated with hiv, most of time shows up in late stage hiv (aids). when it shows up as part of seroconversion syndrome it is cidp which is either acute or chronic inflamatory degenegative something or other, (sorry cant remember the full name, this usually goes away in 3 weeks by itself, love and peace

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #177387 - 02/26/06 10:38 PM

to add to your list they are finding that pre diabetas can cause polyneuropathy, reason i know this , i am one of those people.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2087

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3