Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous93
Unregistered

Please help me. Can't even function...
      #177180 - 02/25/06 09:45 AM

I had an encounter with an ex-boyfriend a couple days ago. My anxiety is getting the best of me.

This encounter was a one time thing. Bad part is we used no protection and he didn't "pull out".

He had just gotten out of a 1 1/2 year relationship with someone. I know (or at least pretty positive) he was faithful to her. And before her, ...he and I were together for 3 years. He's not a drug user, is totally heterosexual and honestly, I've seen/heard nothing that even makes me think he would have HIV. Im just paranoid because of the unprotected sex part.

We live in a small community. So its not like we're in a huge metropolis or anything. In fact, if I read it right, there are only around 1,900 cases of HIV/AIDS in our entire state, with the majority being from only 2 counties. (the bigger cities)

So I guess Im just wondering what my odds are of contracting it in this scenerio. I know no one can give me a full proof answer, but any encouragement would be great.

I can't eat, sleep...concentrate. :(

How soon can I test? It would be that rapid oral HIV test. I know 3 months is definite...but I can test a lot sooner than that for some reassurance can't I??

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Please help me. Can't even function... new
      #177183 - 02/25/06 10:01 AM

You could test now just to have a base line, 6 weeks is pretty much definitive and conclusive in one state, and haven’t seen anyone who had tested 6 weeks negative test pos at 12 and we test upward of 1000 to 3000 a week depending on the season.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #177184 - 02/25/06 10:03 AM

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177185 - 02/25/06 10:04 AM

How could I test now?? This only happened a couple days ago!!!! It would be way too soon now wouldn't it?

I will probably TRY to wait till the 4/5 week mark....then do the rapid oral test at the local health department.....

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #177186 - 02/25/06 10:06 AM

hi

regards from india

Unprotected sex does put you at risk.. A test at 6 weeks should be a GOOD indication of what to expect at 12 weeks.

Having said that you need to make sure you eat properly and make sure you divert your mind away from this. I know it is very difficult, however quite possible.

Keep us posted, goodluck!

Yep and use condoms in futre!

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177187 - 02/25/06 10:08 AM

[quote]test at 12 to 13 weeks after the exposure....Until then, do something fun to keep your mind occupied on something other than this.

i hate to say it, but i will, the hiv/aids statistics are very inaccurate, in the U.S alone,the biggest majority of those infected, dont even know they are carrying it. I too am from smalltown america, dont think its not thriving,because it is. While the odds are in your favor, its still best to test. you should practice safe sex with latex condoms & water based lubricants, to eliminate threat of infection of hiv...Good Luck & God Bless* [/quote]
I will definitely be testing!!! Thats a for sure thing! Im trying to remain hopeful, as this was just a one time encounter and I haven't had any previous unprotected partners or anything like that.

I was just hoping someone had a similar experience....and everything turned out fine. Any positive stories would be great!!

My stomach is in knots. Its like Im in a daze all day every day now. I have two young kids that need me....so I really need some reasurance, just to at least get me by till I test...then I'll go from there.

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #177195 - 02/25/06 10:48 AM

1,900 REPORTED cases in your area. it is estimated that 1 in 25o people are HIV+... but only 1 in 5oo knows they are positive. there are no stereotypes anymore, no specific group/groups of people who it affects. i am a upper middle class, white, non IV drug using, hetero, corporate america female in a monogomous relationship for the past 6 years.... and i am HIV+. don't fool yourself into thinking that someone will "look like they have HIV"... protect yourself & get tested. HIV/AIDS is an equal opportunity infector...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177196 - 02/25/06 10:59 AM

[quote]1,900 REPORTED cases in your area. it is estimated that 1 in 25o people are HIV+... but only 1 in 5oo knows they are positive. there are no stereotypes anymore, no specific group/groups of people who it affects. i am a upper middle class, white, non IV drug using, hetero, corporate america female in a monogomous relationship for the past 6 years.... and i am HIV+. don't fool yourself into thinking that someone will "look like they have HIV"... protect yourself & get tested. HIV/AIDS is an equal opportunity infector... [/quote]

Great. Ok. Thanks. Didn't need to hear all that. :(

I've learned my lesson....but what I did...is done. I really don't need to be scared more than I already am. I don't plan on ever doing anything like this again. I can't un-do what I did. I know not everyone KNOWS they're infected. I KNOW that. Im not completely naive.
I don't think HIV has a "look". What I AM going on is that I know (or assume to know) this persons history. To my knowledge he hasn't been out sleeping with prostitutes or having any one night stands!!!!

I don't know. I wanna know the facts...everyone NEEDS to know them. But like I said, what's done is done.....I came here looking for POSITIVE stories/information.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177197 - 02/25/06 11:01 AM

Also, would it be totally useless to test at around 2 weeks?? 4-5 weeks is gonna be a LONG time for me to be in this state of mind!!!

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #177199 - 02/25/06 11:08 AM

you did need to hear that... i wish i had heard that however long ago.... 5-6 years ago. it's the truth, sometimes we can't always hear what we want to. i learned my lesson too.... except now it's a felony for me to have sex with someone without disclosing my status. you asked a question, i merely gave you MY story. what kind of positive story are you looking for? that it won't happen to you? i'm giving you the facts. don't shoot the messenger.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177200 - 02/25/06 11:15 AM

I came here for support.

Guess that's not going to happen.

So nevermind I guess.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177201 - 02/25/06 11:15 AM

I came here for support.

Guess that's not going to happen.

So nevermind I guess.

luna13
Fanatic

Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: Tn
      #177202 - 02/25/06 11:17 AM

Hello: The best you can do is to go and get tested> I totally understand your fear because I've been there, but the stress is our worst enemy in this situation, so try to relax and wait the right time to get tested. Good Luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#177203 - 02/25/06 11:40 AM

Thats kind of my question...I WANT to get tested ASAP. But like I said, this encounter literally happened just a few days ago!!!! So when people are telling me "go get tested"...I UNDERSTAND!! And Im wanting to!! But is there any point in doing it now.....or should I just wait for at least another couple weeks???

Stress. Yea.....its taking its toll on me to say the least. Im trying to function enough to take care of my two kids right now....thats why I came to this site, hoping to find some upbeat info to just keep me going for the time being!!!

ExWorryWart
Guardian

Reged: 12/21/05
      #177205 - 02/25/06 11:44 AM

No point in testing now. Wait until 6 weeks to the least.. Any test you do now is not going to help you to reduce your anxiety.
Peace
Andy

--------------------
-ve at 1, 2,3,7 mnths..Free of HIV and OCD now.THANKS to all the BEAUTIFULfriends at TheBody!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4832

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3