Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

New Strains
      #17683 - 05/02/01 02:35 PM

Does anyone think it is possible that there are new strains out there that have yet to be identified that are causing all the people that test negative on here to be sick. I have tested negative but have been diagnosed with Thrush and am awaiting a skin biopsy for Kaposi's Sarcoma. I have tested negative on 3 elisa's and 1 DNA PCR. On the viral load forum Dr. Holodiny states that new strains will continue to be found and the tests will be altered to pick them up, if this is the case then why do doctors and hotlines tell you that everything is 100% OK if there is a possibility it is not!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New Strains new
      #17684 - 05/02/01 02:53 PM

That is a concern of a lot of people that come to this forum; myself included at times. I guess the bottom line is: if there is a new strain that is infecting a lot of people, it hasn't been discovered yet. If you have had a high risk exposure and are experiencing ARS, all you can do is get tested with the methods that are available.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17686 - 05/02/01 03:59 PM

All I know is that I haven't felt 100% for about five months now and everybody is telling me it is in my head but I really don't think so. I can't make my lymphnodes swell, I can't make the purple dots on my body appear. This is scaring the s..t out of me because I have had unprotected sex with my girlfriend after receiving all of these negative tests.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17687 - 05/02/01 04:13 PM

So what was your exposure of concern?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17691 - 05/02/01 08:27 PM

Unprotected Vaginal Exposure, one-time thing, I am the male.

JohnPaul
New User

Reged: 05/02/01
      #17692 - 05/02/01 09:32 PM

Your situation seems unusual, and I can understand your concerns. Thrush can be caused by antibiotics and other causes. Kaposi's would obviously be serious, but that is more typical of someone who has been infected and fighting HIV for a longer period of time. If you used the latest HIV 1/2 antibody tests, then you have most likely been checked for most all of the strains, with the possible exception of the new "N" and "O", both of which are EXTREMELY rare in the U.S.
I would recommend hooking up with a good HIV Doctor, and press on until you can come to closure and bring some peace to your mind. If you are not happy with your current HIV Doctor, then find another one. I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

You have a better chance....... new
      #17700 - 05/03/01 12:23 PM

of hitting the lottery about 100 times than having hiv2 or any hiv2 strains so I don't even think that that's an issue. As for other hiv1 strains we could sit here for months talking about this. Take in to consideration that you are negative for hiv and the current tests are very sensitive. Think about it. There would be many more documented cases of people never testing positive on the antibody test but being diagnosed with aids because of different strains that couldn't be picked up on the tests. Do yourself a favor and worry about other things instead of coming up with theories of why you are testing negative.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2226

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3