Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
BillLumbergh
Unregistered

Vaccine hope
      #17482 - 04/19/01 02:28 PM

This was on the news link today. I don't know if this is also "therapeutic"(ie., treats people already infected) or "prophylactic" vaccine. I think its the second. Anyway, it sounds promising.

Vaxgen AIDS Vaccine Clears Phase III Safety Hurdle Again
Bioworld Today

VaxGen Inc. reported late last Thursday that the fifth review by the independent Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) found the company's AIDS vaccine still safe after 23,000 injections in Phase III trials. The DSMB is expected to review efficacy in November. If the interim analysis shows the vaccine works at a level of at least 30 percent, the trials will likely be halted early, and the manufacturer will begin the process of filing for regulatory approval. If the findings are inconclusive, the trials will continue until the fourth quarter of 2002.

AIDSVAX, which is made from a synthetic protein, is the only preventive AIDS vaccine to reach this stage of testing. The double-blind studies inoculate subjects during a 36-month period: some with the vaccine, and some with a placebo. The vaccine's efficacy will be determined by comparing HIV infection between the two groups.

Approximately 8,000 volunteers are participating. In North America and Europe, where the subjects are mostly at-risk white males, more than 94 percent of volunteers continue to participate annually. Each time they return to the trial site, participants are asked about their number of sexual partners and whether they have engaged in safe sex. They are counseled not to assume they have protection against disease, said a company spokesperson. A trial is also underway in Bangkok, Thailand, using a different vaccine strain specific to that region's HIV subtype. That program targets injection drug users and has a 97 percent annual participation rate.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Vaccine hope new
      #17530 - 04/22/01 10:33 PM

This vaccine is in its final trial, i.e. if successful, will be the first vaccine for preventing HIV infections. Visit the page:
www.vaxgen.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Vaccine hope new
      #17538 - 04/23/01 10:12 AM

Hi there. There are several companies (I've read between a dozen to 25) racing to get an effective vaccine out there...GlaxoWellcome is conducting trials on a HIV protein based vacccine. Reuters Health said if it's effective, GW's vaccine might be available mid to late 2002. Merck also has a very promising vaccine, but it's further behind in it's testing; it probably wouldn't be available for 4-7 years. But both of those vaccines are going to be tested for therapeutic efficacy as well. It's great to protect the well, but I think the right vaccine will be one for all and all for one.

I'll check out the Vaxgen website. Keep the hope alive!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1290

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3