Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

europe infection
      #17476 - 04/19/01 12:57 PM

Hello there. I have been about ten months past a possible conection to hiv. I tested at the three month and six month plateau negative for hiv. My encounter was in europe while I was on a business trip. I was drinking one night and wound up having sex with a lady I met. The beginning of the encounter started without protection for about three to six minutes. When I came to my senses I put on a condom. I just found this board and have been reading through some posts about continued symptoms. This is the reason for my concerns. I came down with a flu like illness about a month or a month and a half after the encounter. Since the incident I have been sick with on and off sore throats and colds constant fatigue strange small rashes and pains and I have spinal pain for the last two weeks. I am sure I do not have hiv but since my encounter was out of the country could it be hiv two? I am not sure what nationality the lady was. She was dark skin but she wasn't black or african. She spoke French, and spanish. She looked like Indian or Portugese. What do you think the possibility is that I could have hiv two? Is it only African? A Doctor gave me my two tests and the lab report specified hiv one EIA test so I don't think this includes looking for hiv two. You have probably heard this all before but everything about my health is completely different now and I have been tested for many other things like mono, Hepatitis, and all other std. What should I do? I have been scared to date since the incident and any help would be appreciated.-RD

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: europe infection new
      #17478 - 04/19/01 01:18 PM

If you have tested negative for HIV and various other stds, have you been checked for chronic fatigue? Less is known about this disease, but a friend of mine has it and your symptoms sound a little like hers. Another possibility is that guilt or fear over your European encounter is resulting in physical symptoms -- stress can do strange things. Have you talked to a counselor, or even a good friend about this?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17481 - 04/19/01 02:22 PM

This is my opinion:
I would say if you tested negative twice (and you were well outside the window) it's EXTREMELY unlikely you have HIV. 1.)You don't know the status of the woman, she may not even have had HIV.
2.)Even if she was positive, in a one time exposure your risk is roughly 600 to 1 of infection
3.)The chances of being a late seroconverter is EXTREMELY rare especially with the sensitivity of todays tests.
4.)HIV-2 is very rare (but I understand your concern) mostly comes from people in West Africa. There are tests for this (I was tested for it (neg.))
I wouldn't worry at all. Seroconversion syptoms are usually VERY dramatic, sometimes requiring hospitalization. And they usually only last a few weeks (2-4) not ongoing as you described. I don't think you need to worry about HIV-2 but there are tests for it if it would make you feel better.
Good Luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#17501 - 04/20/01 02:27 PM

Thanks for the response. I spoke with a counselor which helped a bit. I have heard of chronic fatigue but as I understand it, there is no test for it. I am trying to decide if I should test for hiv two. It would make me feel better if I tested for it and got the result I want to hear. After going through testing in the first place and thinking I was fine, I don't know if I could go through it again. I had really no problem testing the first two times but after thinking I was fine then realizing it could be hiv two it is troubleing.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1346

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3