Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
pils
Unregistered

Burst condom with prostitute - symptoms
      #174671 - 02/11/06 11:07 AM

All,

I slept with a female prostitute 3 weeks ago and the condom burst. I was very drunk (no excuse I know) and i must have continued for approx 15-20 secs before realising. The symptoms started that night with a terrible sore throat as I walked home.

The next day I felt a little difficulty in swallowing and my throat was very dry ( i also had minor irritation at the tip of my urethra for the next 1-2 days - not sure if this is from sex or because I washed my penis under boiling water by accident - before the sex). By the 2nd day my throat had gotten worse and I was not feeling 100%. By the 4th-5th day my glands in my neck, legs and arms had swollen, I had a headache and fatigue and the back of my tongue was yellow. I did not get a fever as I have previously had them years ago, but I did feel my temperature rise a little at work one day, about a week later. The 2nd week I contiued to have headaches for parts of the day in my temple and on the top of my head. I started taking strong antibiotics after 11 days - for a duration of 10 days. 18 days later I started having oral thrush which the doctor has confirmed - and my glands now are still a little swollen. I have had an upset stomach and sometimes do not feel like eating (even though I do) since the first week.

I saw my doctor and told her what happened - she told me that the irritation in my urethra is usually a sign of an infection and my swollen glands are a sign/symptom of HIV. I also remember that my throat was feeling sore before I slept with her, as I had been drinking cold spirits in a bar. My doctor told me that its possible that I have aggrevated my throat infection and that the oral thrush would not be seen this soon in HIv infected patients. The upset stomach she partly attributes to the antibiotics. I had a car crash the night after my exposure and smashed my head into the windscreen - which she says could account for headaches.

I have had persistent generalsed lymphadenopathy 5 months prior to this exposure which started with a raging sore throat then swollen lymphs for a few months. I tested negative twice for HIV after 6 & 10 weeks during this time. The doctor told me I had caught a viral infection. My glands were not that swollen prior to this exposure.

My doctor tells me to put it to the back of my mind and have a test at 6 weeks, however I have convinced myself that this is HIV!!

Your views would be greaty appreciated as I am very worried.

thanks,

Pils

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Veteran

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Burst condom with prostitute - symptoms new
      #174679 - 02/11/06 03:25 PM

Well your doctor must not know much about HIV, symptoms do not come the next day or even in the first 2 weeks. What you are experiencing has to be unrelated; you even said you were having problems before. Also just because the woman was a prostitute make her immediately infected?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#174721 - 02/12/06 05:47 AM

I understand your fears but don't let symptoms like this make you think you definitely have HIV. Get tested at 4 or 5 weeks and then again at 13 and you will know for sure.

Pils
Unregistered

#174726 - 02/12/06 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reply - I´m not sure how much my doctor knows but she is the only one I can ask at the mo. I have read that symptoms can begin as early as a few days - does it always take two weeks? only asking as I am stressing about this!!

shadow1
Veteran

Reged: 12/06/00
      #174732 - 02/12/06 10:05 AM

Read back through some posts, this has been gone over 20,000 times in the last 2 months.

Pils
Unregistered

Gman if u r there? Re:Burst condom-symptoms new
      #174861 - 02/13/06 02:31 PM

I read your reply to my previous post re: my symptoms and it put my mind at ease (that symptoms didn´t occur until 2 weeks post exposure) - at least till today.

I went to see my doc to see about a test - she told me it was too soon to test (3weeks and 2 days). But she said that my symptoms were consistent with HIV.

My symptoms are - sore throat (throat was sore for the first four days aft exposure -even the night of exposure), swollen glands (for the last 16 days - still a little swollen), fatigue, oral thrush (aft 11/12 days) , loss of appetite and occasional feelings of nausea (from 1st few days after exposure), headaches and the last few days i´ve had some small aches and pains in muscles and joints.

I have read the previous posts - as you suggested - all seem to point to symptoms appearing between two to four weeks. My doctor, however, said that these symptoms can start virtually iafter a day or two.

Is this possible? I asked her how much previous experiance she had had with HIV patients and she said only one had previously tested positive with her before (not sure if she treated him/her afterwards however)?

I am alone here and feel that after reading your personal story on one of the other threads, you would certainly know?

thanks in advance and big respect,
pils

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5476

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3