Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
pils
Unregistered

Burst condom with prostitute - symptoms
      #174671 - 02/11/06 11:07 AM

All,

I slept with a female prostitute 3 weeks ago and the condom burst. I was very drunk (no excuse I know) and i must have continued for approx 15-20 secs before realising. The symptoms started that night with a terrible sore throat as I walked home.

The next day I felt a little difficulty in swallowing and my throat was very dry ( i also had minor irritation at the tip of my urethra for the next 1-2 days - not sure if this is from sex or because I washed my penis under boiling water by accident - before the sex). By the 2nd day my throat had gotten worse and I was not feeling 100%. By the 4th-5th day my glands in my neck, legs and arms had swollen, I had a headache and fatigue and the back of my tongue was yellow. I did not get a fever as I have previously had them years ago, but I did feel my temperature rise a little at work one day, about a week later. The 2nd week I contiued to have headaches for parts of the day in my temple and on the top of my head. I started taking strong antibiotics after 11 days - for a duration of 10 days. 18 days later I started having oral thrush which the doctor has confirmed - and my glands now are still a little swollen. I have had an upset stomach and sometimes do not feel like eating (even though I do) since the first week.

I saw my doctor and told her what happened - she told me that the irritation in my urethra is usually a sign of an infection and my swollen glands are a sign/symptom of HIV. I also remember that my throat was feeling sore before I slept with her, as I had been drinking cold spirits in a bar. My doctor told me that its possible that I have aggrevated my throat infection and that the oral thrush would not be seen this soon in HIv infected patients. The upset stomach she partly attributes to the antibiotics. I had a car crash the night after my exposure and smashed my head into the windscreen - which she says could account for headaches.

I have had persistent generalsed lymphadenopathy 5 months prior to this exposure which started with a raging sore throat then swollen lymphs for a few months. I tested negative twice for HIV after 6 & 10 weeks during this time. The doctor told me I had caught a viral infection. My glands were not that swollen prior to this exposure.

My doctor tells me to put it to the back of my mind and have a test at 6 weeks, however I have convinced myself that this is HIV!!

Your views would be greaty appreciated as I am very worried.

thanks,

Pils

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Burst condom with prostitute - symptoms new
      #174679 - 02/11/06 03:25 PM

Well your doctor must not know much about HIV, symptoms do not come the next day or even in the first 2 weeks. What you are experiencing has to be unrelated; you even said you were having problems before. Also just because the woman was a prostitute make her immediately infected?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#174721 - 02/12/06 05:47 AM

I understand your fears but don't let symptoms like this make you think you definitely have HIV. Get tested at 4 or 5 weeks and then again at 13 and you will know for sure.

Pils
Unregistered

#174726 - 02/12/06 08:00 AM

Thanks for the reply - Iīm not sure how much my doctor knows but she is the only one I can ask at the mo. I have read that symptoms can begin as early as a few days - does it always take two weeks? only asking as I am stressing about this!!

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #174732 - 02/12/06 10:05 AM

Read back through some posts, this has been gone over 20,000 times in the last 2 months.

Pils
Unregistered

Gman if u r there? Re:Burst condom-symptoms new
      #174861 - 02/13/06 02:31 PM

I read your reply to my previous post re: my symptoms and it put my mind at ease (that symptoms didnīt occur until 2 weeks post exposure) - at least till today.

I went to see my doc to see about a test - she told me it was too soon to test (3weeks and 2 days). But she said that my symptoms were consistent with HIV.

My symptoms are - sore throat (throat was sore for the first four days aft exposure -even the night of exposure), swollen glands (for the last 16 days - still a little swollen), fatigue, oral thrush (aft 11/12 days) , loss of appetite and occasional feelings of nausea (from 1st few days after exposure), headaches and the last few days iīve had some small aches and pains in muscles and joints.

I have read the previous posts - as you suggested - all seem to point to symptoms appearing between two to four weeks. My doctor, however, said that these symptoms can start virtually iafter a day or two.

Is this possible? I asked her how much previous experiance she had had with HIV patients and she said only one had previously tested positive with her before (not sure if she treated him/her afterwards however)?

I am alone here and feel that after reading your personal story on one of the other threads, you would certainly know?

thanks in advance and big respect,
pils

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5195

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3