Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

ars symptoms
      #173611 - 02/06/06 03:34 AM

is it possible to get genital herpes and pharyngitis caused by the same virus and also feel a flu like illness low grade fever, left side cervic anterior amd pelvic adenophaty and feeling tired all day as well as headache and white thonge and not have it confused with ars?? I started taking acyclovir tpday and i feel better. and the fevers were low grade never night sweats or dhiarrea. my exposure was vaginal sex with sex worker used condom but it fell of and i continued for about a minute and then she performed oral sex. elisa negative at 3 weeks how valid is it and is there a window period for herpes or other std's? can the herpes virus cause pharyngitis or is it hiv

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ars symptoms new
      #173616 - 02/06/06 04:45 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/std/Herpes/STDFact-Herpes.htm provides some useful info.

Extract: "Most people infected with HSV-2 are not aware of their infection. However, if signs and symptoms occur during the first outbreak, they can be quite pronounced. The first outbreak usually occurs within two weeks after the virus is transmitted, and the sores typically heal within two to four weeks. Other signs and symptoms during the primary episode may include a second crop of sores, and flu-like symptoms, including fever and swollen glands."

So, just like many other viruses, 'flu-like' symptoms occur as a result of a Herpes infection. Of course, it could be entirely conincidental and you could have a throat infection or something else as well as Herpes. All we can say here is that it is completely impossible to infer anything about your HIV status from these symptoms and, based on what you say and given the statistical probabilities involved, it is considerably more likely that these symptoms are caused by something else than by HIV.

I also found this piece of information interesting (I had no idea it was so common): "Results of a nationally representative study show that genital herpes infection is common in the United States. Nationwide, at least 45 million people ages 12 and older, or one out of five adolescents and adults, have had genital HSV infection." So you can certainly conclude that Herpes is damned easy to catch if you are sexually active! This is especially true since condoms, whilst helpful, do not act as a complete barrier to Herpes in the same way that they do to HIV.

You do need to test because your condom fell off (the oral sex part is irrelevant - you cannot get HIV from getting a BJ). However, the fact is that you were protected most of the time, the lady in question used protection (implying she had a responsible attitude to her own health), and that HIV is difficult to transmit from female to male, imply your risk is very much on the low end of the scale. You cannot infer anything from her occupation - if anything, you could argue that sex workers are more aware of the risks of HIV than the general population.

Your negative test at 3 weeks is encouraging. The average time to test positive is around 3 weeks, so that makes you halfway there, sort of. But a conclusive result needs to be at 12/13 weeks. If you cannot wait that long, you can test again at 6-8 weeks at which time that would be a much stronger indicator of your eventual status (although, in my experience, such testing only provides very temporary relief from your concerns and only the conclusive test at 12/13 weeks will really put this issue to bed).

Having said all this, if you can you need to get this issue in proportion: the odds are very much in your favour and whilst it is important that you do test, it is extremely likely that you will come out of this OK.

God bless!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173618 - 02/06/06 05:08 AM

Great reply by anonymous person..it made me feel better and I didn't even pose the question. I have so many terrible thoughts going through my head right now , I am convinced I have something and just have to wait out the time to find out.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173682 - 02/06/06 11:55 AM

thanks for the reply but i'm worried about the pharyngitis because my soft palate is so red with little bumps and little vesicles in the inflamatted tonsils.I took antibiotics azitromicina for days and didn't work and the acyclovir is working better.I'm also worried that if this is herpes i got from vaginal sex how did I get the pharyngitis,I didn't give her oral we just deep kissed. And why do I feel so bad, tired, headache jiont pain... I'm worried because I read that in inmunodepressed persons the herpes outbreak is more intense and I'm very anxious this would be my case!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2037

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3