Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Symptoms on the night of the act
      #173404 - 02/04/06 05:02 PM

Hey,

I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex with a girl in November. Woke up later that night with the sweats, next day had a sore throat. Went to the clinic and got shots and meds for the usual STDs (which seemed to clear up the sore throat) and was told I was low risk for HIV. Three months later, I'm having all the symptoms again--swollen lymph nodes, insomnia, fatigue during the day, occasional night sweats, etc. Is it possible to experience these symptoms on the night of the act? Thanks.

Worried and waiting for test results.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Symptoms on the night of the act new
      #173407 - 02/04/06 05:15 PM

From every piece of information I have read it is impossible to have symptoms the same night or even a few days later when talking about HIV. If you already have had the other STD's ruled out then pretty much you need to look in a different direction. If need be , for piece of minds sake , go get an HIV test so you can get past the enormous worrying that comes with the wondering. Its been long enough now that you will get a definitive answer from the test.

Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
      #173411 - 02/04/06 06:06 PM

Yep, everything I've read/heard says if you are goi ng to have symptoms they would be 2 to 4 weeks out. Not possible the same night of the exposure. But like the other Anon said, if concerned, get tested so you can get beyond the wonder and worry.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #173424 - 02/05/06 01:17 AM

hi

regards from india

Judging of your status based on symptoms experienced is not the right way to go, only a HIV test can give accurate results pertaining to your status.

Unprotected sex does place you at risk, however HIV is a hard virus to transmit, moreso from a female to a male. If you had your exposure in novemeber, you can test now, i believe your results should be accurate.

Goodluck

Ps: Use condoms in future.

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173533 - 02/05/06 07:28 PM

All viral infections including HIV have an incubation period - essentially the time it takes the virus to start replicating enough to have an effect on you.

Symptoms on the same day as infection are, essentially, impossible.

For HIV symptoms are very rarely reported within less than 5 days and the average length of time taken for symptoms of acute HIV infection to occur is around 14 days (if symptoms are noticable, which is not always).

The bit about 2-4 weeks relates to the period from infection until symptoms show themselves, it does not mean that anything before 2 weeks is not HIV, as it is commonly misinterpreted as saying. What it does mean is that if you have symptoms that start after 4 weeks since possible exposure, that would be inconsistent with the normal course of HIV infection (though sometimes I have seen this timeline extended out to 6 weeks, perhaps to cope with the few exceptions that prove the general rule).

As you have been told, your risk is statistically low. Your symptoms are non-specific and are most likely the result of the stress you are under. At 3 months, your test results will be conclusive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173537 - 02/05/06 07:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm almost half-way through the two-week waiting period on the test, and I've been going crazy. The only thing that has brought me back to sanity was spending hours on this website, which has the only solid, reliable, and consistent information on the web. Thanks for your support.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173539 - 02/05/06 07:40 PM

Ravi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm almost half-way through the two-week waiting period on the test, and I've been going crazy. The only thing that has brought me back to sanity was spending hours on this website, which has the only solid, reliable, and consistent information on the web. I've seen your comments on almost every thread, and you bring a message of sanity and calm to a lot of worried people. Thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173540 - 02/05/06 07:43 PM

Thanks for your reply. I had the test last Tuesday, and have to wait two weeks for the results. Actually, this clinic will call you to come in if you test positive, and will not even call if you test negative (making you live in agony the full two weeks). If I haven't received a call by next Thursday (1.5 week point), I'm going to go back in anyway to see if they know anything. Why ruin another weekend if I'm negative? Anyway, thanks for your response.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173541 - 02/05/06 07:45 PM

Blixer,

Thanks for your post. I did get tested, and am almost half-way through the two-week waiting period on the test, and I've been going crazy. Thanks for your support--hearing advice from those with experience really helps alot.

ExWorryWart
Guardian

Reged: 12/21/05
      #173671 - 02/06/06 11:03 AM

My best wishes are with you.
Andy

--------------------
-ve at 1, 2,3,7 mnths..Free of HIV and OCD now.THANKS to all the BEAUTIFULfriends at TheBody!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2163

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3