Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

please help hiv and hep c
      #172772 - 02/01/06 12:55 PM

i tested hiv negative at 5 month but i just found out this person
has hep c we had sex once. does it take longer for hiv to show up if you was infected with hep c?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: please help hiv and hep c new
      #173136 - 02/03/06 02:15 AM

There is a lot of controversy about the sexual transmission of Hep C. But it can be summed up by saying that sexual transmission either does not happen or is very rare. Hep C requires blood to blood transmission (i.e. HIV is 'easier' to get because of the sexual fluids / mucous membrane route). 'Normal' heterosexual sex is therefore unlikely to transmit Hep C, although 'rough' sex or anal sex may present some risk due to the possibilitity of abrasions etc. for both parties invovled.

However, I suspect that a very high proportion of co-infection cases are due to IV drug use, which provides a very 'efficient' mode of transmission for both diseases. This, of course, does not apply to your situation.

I also recall that coinfection has been associated with late seroconvertion. But the funny thing with the internet is that a lot of material is repeated on different pages and this makes it look like something happens a lot. In fact, from my reading I suspect that there is only one actual case of this documented. Moreover, this was some years ago (when tests were less reliable) and, as I said above, I strongly suspect would be due to coinfection from IV drug use, which is one of the very few exceptions to the 3 month rule (because this sort of drug use can depress your immune system and affect your ability to produce antibodies). So what I am saying is that it is quite possible that the delay, if it did indeed occur, was not the result of the coinfection but rather the person's suppressed immune system due to drug use.

The above is rather more information than you need but what I am attempting to do is head off a few 'what ifs' when you search the internet and find stuff that may worry you.

So:

1. You had a negative test at 5 months. Unless you yourself are an IV drug user or are undergoing cancer treatment which radically suppresses your immune system, then this test result is considered reliable by all major health bodies in the US, Europe etc.

2. Hep C is rarely transmitted sexually. It requires blood to blood contact. Since you had sex with someone who has it, I would recommend getting a test for Hep C just to ease your concerns, but I strongly suspect that you will test negative. Co-infection via a sexual route is an extremely unlikely event: like being hit by a meteor and being run over by a bus on the same day....

3. Unprotected sex means that this is some potential for HIV transmission assuming that you do not know that your partner is reliably HIV negative. However, the risk for a single sexual act is actually quite small - it depends what kind of sexual act (some are more risky than others) - but in all cases it is statistically more probable that you did not become infected from one event, even if your partner was positive.

My personal view, based on a lot of reading of good websites like this (not medical expertise, I hasten to add) is that you can forget about this and rely on your negative status. And, although I am not one, I think you would get the same answer from any HIV expert.

God bless!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: please help hiv and hep c new
      #173227 - 02/03/06 02:54 PM

Thank you so much for replying to my question. i have never
injected any kind of drug. you have helped so much it really
makes you freak out when you think every thing is okay
then you read something else

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1078

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3