Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

window period
      #172081 - 01/28/06 02:31 AM

exposure vaginal no protection on dec 13 teseted negative on jan 5 is the result reliable

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: window period new
      #172082 - 01/28/06 02:33 AM

[quote]exposure vaginal no protection on dec 13 teseted negative on jan 5 is the result reliable [/quote]
i penetrated her for about 1 minute and then sehe gave me oral what is the risk assuming she is positive

Anonymous
Unregistered

#172083 - 01/28/06 04:29 AM

The risk is extremely low -- like a handful in about ten thousand (assuming she was pos), but there are always variables ( blood, open sores, etc.).

Most people test positive between 3-4 weeks with current tests, ao the test is a good indicator of your status. Test again in a month or two to confirm for peace of mind.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#172085 - 01/28/06 04:37 AM

right now i'm having extreme anxiety and panic atacks just thinking on being +
i had burning in my mouth just the day of the test jan5 and on jan 17 i began feeling muscle cramps and joint pain rash and a swollen lynph node what do you think?? should i relax

Anonymous
Unregistered

#172088 - 01/28/06 05:38 AM

Yes, you should relax. Symptoms don't equal HIV and stress causes many symtpoms. It is winter and people get sick. Plus there are hundreds of viruses out there. Really, you are in a low risk group.

ARS usually occurs within two weeks of primary infection and is characterized by a febrile & flue like illness. So you'd have a fever, feel like you have the flu and you would have generalizd lymph node swelling -- not just a bump here and there. If you are feeling really unwell see your physician for evaluation -- you probably just have a bug and/or suffering from stress. You can also ask this girl about her status to put your mind at ease. Maybe she will be willing to get tested with you.

Wait a couple of weeks to six weeks afer your encounter and get a nother test . This will put you in around the 95 percent mark of being negative should make you feel better.

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #172092 - 01/28/06 08:04 AM

testing at 3 months is definitive on your status. You could test every week until the 3 month mark if you want but it wont change the results, start taking deep breaths and relaxing as the burning tongue is most likely from the anxiety and stress, i know i have been there. Most of us have. For a variety of reasons you will find people seroconvert anywhere in the 3 months but most will convert in the 4-6 week mark, you need to test at 3 months to be certain, love and peace
p.s use condoms from now on

Anonymous
Unregistered

#172104 - 01/28/06 10:54 AM

The comment about nothing changing until three months is wrong. You don;t automatically seroconvert at the three month mark. It is not some magic number hat the human body recognizes.

Three months is just a time frame. If one were to test positive, they would do it somewhere within that time frame -- most by 6 weeks. If you are concerned and really worried do get the test at 6 weeks to make yourself feel better. You don't need to wait in anxiety for three months. You can test again at 90 days to confirm those results.

Indeed, if more people caught their positive status early (even by a few weeks), we would have less of this disease. Sadly, it is not the people who worry about window periods etc. that test positive. Most people who test pos can't remember who or exactly when they contracted the disease from.

Talk to the girl if you can. It wlll make you feel better. Try not to feel guilty, we are human and all slip up once in a while.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#172105 - 01/28/06 10:59 AM

I meant ironically & not sadly, It is still too early in the morning :)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#172106 - 01/28/06 10:59 AM

I meant ironically & not sadly, It is still too early in the morning :)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#172173 - 01/28/06 09:43 PM

Dr. Niel Constantine says the window is 3-5 weeks and the rest soon after.
This is with a standard elisa blood test, not a rapid test or saliva test or even a 4th generation test. Test at 6 weeks and again at 12 for a conclusive test.
There is no mystery here about testing and not need to worry for 6 months

joey4god

Reged: 01/23/08
      #235683 - 01/26/08 11:12 AM

Real-Time Immuno-PCR, a novel method that detects ultra-low levels of proteins, has been applied for the detection of the AIDS virus. Specifically, it detects an inner protein of the virus known as p24, rather than detecting antibodies or viral nucleic acids. “Each virus particle contains about 3,000 molecules of p24 as compared with only two copies of nucleic acid. So there’s a greater amount of target to detect,” says Constantine of the new testing method, which combines the traditional ELISA approach with another method known as PCR (polymerase chain reaction). “It’s an advance over current methods in that we can detect down to the equivalent of two copies of RNA as compared with current methods which have been validated to only 50 copies,” says Dr. Barletta.

The new approach has important implications for both HIV identification and treatment. Traditional testing methods detect HIV about 12 days after infection. Earlier detection could result not only in earlier diagnosis, but in an improved protection of the blood supply and more effective treatment options for patients. “Monitoring HIV infection during anti-retroviral treatment is the standard of care, and better monitoring of virus in the blood can more effectively address the growing trend of drug resistance,” says Dr. Constantine

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2584

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3