Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lymph Nodes
      #171444 - 01/25/06 12:23 PM

How common is is for your lymph nodes to become swollen durings the early symptoms of hiv? I lymph nodes have been tender and enlarged for 10 days now. Once they enlarge do they stay enlarged?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Blixer
Veteran

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
Re: Lymph Nodes new
      #171456 - 01/25/06 01:49 PM

You don't indicate if you have had a significant exposure or why you are concerned about HIV. Have you been tested? That is the place to start if you have a conern. Swollen lymph nodes can be a symptom of lots of different things. I asked the same question that you did here and basically found nothing conclusive. I did a lot of reading too... swollen lymph nodes can be a symptom of HIV but they can also be a symptom of so many other things. What I saw in the reading was that in most cases lymph node swelling from HIV was not tender. But again, if you think you have been exposed the only way to know for sure is to get tested.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

ExWorryWart
Regular

Reged: 12/21/05
      #171460 - 01/25/06 02:11 PM

how do you describe tenderness in lymphnodes blixer or non tenderness...?

--------------------
-ve at 1, 2,3,7 mnths..Free of HIV and OCD now.THANKS to all the BEAUTIFULfriends at TheBody!

Blixer
Veteran

#171467 - 01/25/06 02:45 PM

My definition of tender is that they hurt a little bit, particularly if you touch them or when you move the area they are swollen in. Non tender ones tend to be hard and have no feeling (well, I woudln't go stabbing or pinching them... then they might have feeling.)

My doctor only got concerned when the lymph node swelling was in more than one non-contiguous area... Like both the neck and groin..... And then HIV was about the last thing on her list.

--------------------
David

Anonymous
Unregistered

#171469 - 01/25/06 02:50 PM

Oh great. I can feel my lymph nodes in my neck and groin area. The ones on my neck are very tender. I don't even have to touch them to see if their tender. This is a bad sign, huh? That and my aches and pains. :(

ItsFaith
Veteran

Reged: 10/17/05
      #171473 - 01/25/06 02:54 PM

No....it's not a "bad sign" Lymph nodes swell for many reasons. As Blixer said, HIV was the last thing on the list. Second, don't diagnose yourself. Many people on these boards have gone to the doctor with "swollen tender glands" to be told by the doctor that they were NOT swollen. If you are not a doctor (and I assume you aren't) please don't diagnose yourself. If you placed yoursself at risk, get tested, but don't torture yourself with "what if" and symptoms.

ExWorryWart
Regular

#171474 - 01/25/06 02:55 PM

Mine is the same.. I don't touch them often.. i just feel that they are painful and tender..doctor confirmed they are enlarged a little bit but still didn't think it is something to be concerned off..(last thing in the list)? Did you get tested Anonymous? But remember Blixer said 'normally' lymphnodes on HIV+ are not tender..
Oh well...don't keep poking..just build courage testing..I am on 10th week now..God bless three more weeks and I hope to be out of this misery.
Love everyone
Andy

--------------------
-ve at 1, 2,3,7 mnths..Free of HIV and OCD now.THANKS to all the BEAUTIFULfriends at TheBody!

Blixer
Veteran

#171484 - 01/25/06 03:15 PM

Not necessarily... the only way to know is to get tested... My family doctor just said when they are swollen in more than one non contiguous area it could be something systemic... maybe just something working its way through your system. Most of what I read said node swelling from HIV was not usually tender. Keeping in mind that any conclusion about anything from symptoms is very very unreliable. In my case, my doctor was actually started out trying to rule out lymphoma... and to tell you the truth, I'm sure glad that was ruled out...

--------------------
David

Blixer
Veteran

#171486 - 01/25/06 03:20 PM

And yes, don't keep poking them... that will make them more tender no matter what...

Just remember, lymph nodes can swell for lots and lots of reasons. No reason to jump to a bad conclusion. I've had bouts of swollen lymph nodes all of my life. And all of the other times they meant nothing.

So, again, if you were at risk, get tested and know, but don't let this freak you out.

--------------------
David

Blixer
Veteran

#171488 - 01/25/06 03:21 PM

Once again... very well stated faith!

--------------------
David

Anonymous
Unregistered

#171495 - 01/25/06 03:35 PM

Thanks all. You are awesome! I'll try to relax a bit. I'm just hoping my lymph nodes are just swollen due a sore throat I had...althouigh I don't ever recall them this tendor before... but I have also never been this stressed before. I haven't been tested yet. I go next week. I'm nervous and scared as I'm sure we all are or have been before those stupid tests.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#171497 - 01/25/06 03:39 PM

and I've had night sweats three nights in a row. Did not drench the bed but was very damp. :(

ExWorryWart
Regular

#171500 - 01/25/06 03:55 PM

*ditto* here... never had so much issues with nodes, pains in groin area or discomfort in armpits..in my life..but again..has never been so stressed or worried about a disease scare either....let's hope it is all anxiety and nothing else...
WW

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2790

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3