Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had unprotected sex last July.
      #171155 - 01/24/06 02:21 AM

I had unprotected sex last July. I have had no signs or symptoms. I am in Physical therapy school and I have classes in a hospital and I see flyers and adds about HIV/AIDS everyday. Do most people show symptoms by 6 months?
Also, I have heard that women contract HIV from heterosexual sex easier than a male would b/c their mucous membranes in the vagina are more succeptible to letting the virus in. Can anyone help me with some of these questions? I am going to get a test and I am just trying to prepare myself.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I had unprotected sex last July. new
      #171165 - 01/24/06 06:29 AM

1. Outside of the acute flu-like symptoms that some people get within 2-4 weeks of infection, and which usually reslove themselves within a few days, it would be unlikely that you would be showing symptoms within 6 months of infection.

2. Yes it is easier for a woman to get infected than a man in heterosexual sex. I am not sure of the exact reasons (though yours sound possible), but certainly that seems to be the consistant message from authorities on HIV.

3. However, the risk of transmission from a one time incident (especially considering that the status of the person is unknown and therefore, most likely, HIV negative) is actually quite small. So even if we knew your partner was HIV+, it is still more statistically likely that you would not be infected, than the chance you are infected.

4. However, speculating on symptoms, odds of transmission etc. is all useless if you want to know your HIV status (and this is something you do indeed need to know). The only way you will KNOW is to take a test.

I expect you will be negative - the odds are dramatically in your favour. But don't keep playing those odds or one day you will lose: condoms are the answer!

Good luck and God Bless!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I had unprotected sex last July. new
      #171296 - 01/24/06 06:08 PM

Thank you so much. I am going to get a test, and I have researched as much as possible. My condom actually broke while having sex and I didnt know it until we were finished. Thank you for your support and God Bless you.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1988

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3