Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
giaobsession
Regular

Reged: 01/18/06
My mouth burns and I'm down to my last beer
      #170309 - 01/18/06 08:19 PM

I know I've put myself at risk, and no, I've never been tested. No, it's not from oral sex, No, it's not from a condom break one time experience. No!!! I've been stupid. And I have no one to turn to. That's why I'm here.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: My mouth burns and I'm down to my last beer new
      #170311 - 01/18/06 08:34 PM

Assuming that you have had a real risk of HIV infection, then the only way to know if you are + or - is to get tested at 13 weeks past your last possible exposure. Everything else is speculation and I doubt that there is anything else anyone here can say that would comfort you. You just have to get tested.

HIV sysmptoms are non-specific and therefore, whatever your symptoms are, no-one can diagnose you based on them. A burning sensation in the mouth can, I have read, be brought on by stress (stress also causes a dry mouth which exacerbates the problem). I imagine there are other causes too....but it is certainly not an HIV specific issue (few symptoms are).

I realise you are afraid, but really the only way that you will get this behind you is to test. If is any comfort, the vast majority of people who come to this board with HIV worries, and all sorts of symptoms, test negative.

giaobsession
Regular

#170441 - 01/19/06 02:43 PM

I know I know. I have been tested for everything BUT. I go to the doctors religiously. Every little mark, spot, wrinkle... I'm there. He laughs at me when he walks in because I have a new crazy story. But I just haven't had the courage to do it.

Would start in more or less than 10 years? Is shingles a symptom? I've had them in 03. But it was a stressful time of my life.

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #170444 - 01/19/06 03:25 PM

stress brings on all sorts of issues. the only way to know is to test. no one here is going to give you any other answer, but to test. i know that if you seriously think you have hiv, then some how you will find the strength to go. the longer you put it off, the easier it becomes to not go. the longer you wait, the more stress you are putting yourself through.
i hate to say this and i am sorry if i offend you, that clearly is not my intention, but if you go to the doc for every wrinkle and spot then are you certain that this is not just anxiety?
please if you have put yourself at risk, then test. this disease has to stop somewhere. don't allow yourself to be one of the missing links to stopping the disease.
daisey

giaobsession
Regular

#170448 - 01/19/06 03:48 PM

Well I know I suffer from anxiety because of the panic attacks. Which I think is brought on by the thought of being positive.

But thanks Daisey, you are right. It does have to stop somewhere. I think my biggest fear of getting tested or being positive is what I will be putting my family through. My uncle died of AIDS when I was only 10 years old in 1990. I watched how it ripped my family apart, and destroyed my grandmothers faith in God. I saw how much it hurt my mother. I'd feel so guilty doing it to her again. It etched an image of disease in my subconscious. It's hard to get over that. But I know a lot has changed since 1990.

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #170451 - 01/19/06 03:59 PM

things have changed since then..... and to be perfectly honest, you may out live all of them. you are worried about a what if, until you know for sure, stop putting yourself through so much pain and agony. life is short enough without stressing over what you don't know for sure.
if you spend more time in a day worrying about things that may not even be, then how do you enjoy the time you do have? what i am trying to say is spend more time enjoying life and less time worrying about life. it is far to precious and you only have one life to live. once you are gone, you don't get a second chance. enjoy it while you can. each day is a gift, so tomorrow unwrap your present and enjoy it while you can.
love
daisey

Anonymous
Unregistered

#171443 - 01/25/06 12:16 PM

[quote]Assuming that you have had a real risk of HIV infection, then the only way to know if you are + or - is to get tested at 13 weeks past your last possible exposure. Everything else is speculation and I doubt that there is anything else anyone here can say that would comfort you. You just have to get tested.

HIV sysmptoms are non-specific and therefore, whatever your symptoms are, no-one can diagnose you based on them. A burning sensation in the mouth can, I have read, be brought on by stress (stress also causes a dry mouth which exacerbates the problem). I imagine there are other causes too....but it is certainly not an HIV specific issue (few symptoms are).

I realise you are afraid, but really the only way that you will get this behind you is to test. If is any comfort, the vast majority of people who come to this board with HIV worries, and all sorts of symptoms, test negative. [/quote]

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1952

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3