Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
AnxietyMe
Unregistered

yeast
      #170091 - 01/17/06 02:31 PM

Does anyone know if stress can cause a vaginal yeast infection?
I have stopped reading symptoms on the internet, as they are just fueling my anxiety, but now.. all of the sudden, I think I have a yeast infection. I have never had one before. I'm going to the doc for it, as I suppose it could be something else (not another STD, as I havent had vaginal sex since i was last tested for other STD's)
I wish I would have never read that HIV can cause yeast infections. I was feeling a lot better about things. My body is throwing all these cruve balls at me, it's really getting to me. Why now, when I'm waiting out these 13 weeks, would I get my first yeast infection? Blarg.
So, back to my original question ,ever heard of stress causing this? Any personal experiences?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: yeast new
      #170099 - 01/17/06 03:13 PM

I can tell you for certain that a yeast infection can be brought on by stress...especially if you are already suseptible as in my case. I know if I have a stressful week, my yeast problem will flare up. I hate it. I did find one natural remedy that has finally started to help me. When I feel stressed I take a crushed garlic clove 1-2 times perday until my yeast symptoms are gone. I can't stand the way it tastes but its easier than using the creams and seems to help me more than the creams do. Good luck. Try not to worry. I know its difficult. I'm in the same boat and just started to bring one on myself.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170119 - 01/17/06 05:23 PM

Don't freak out. You will make yourself SICK!!!! Try to stay as calm as possible and just get tested for everything.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170172 - 01/17/06 10:32 PM

YES! A yeast infection can most definitely be brought on by stress, and also by a poor diet. I had an exposure risk in mid-November. Shortly thereafter, and during which time I began to WORRY about every STD BIG-TIME, the "symptoms" began...the usual, sore throat, sick stomach, diarrea, glands, the whole nine. Stress? You betcha. This also caused me to not have an appetite, resulting in a loss of about 5 pounds. STRESS!! About 3.5 weeks afterwards, I visited the local health clinic for a STD screening, which included a pelvic exam. The nurse told me I had some discharge that looked like a possible yeast infection, but she would do a quick culture to be sure. The result? Yup, a yeast infection. Now I've only had 2 previous yeast infections before in my entire life, both of which were a result of antibiotics. Knowing I had not taken any antibiotics recently, that began to make me worry that much more, because I, like you, had searched every Internet page known to mankind, only to discover that yeast infections were, in fact, I symptom of HIV infection...which made me worry that much more. STRESS!! I went back for my results. Negative for everything. I felt a little better, but it had only been a few weeks past exposure, so I knew it wasn't definitive. STRESS!! A month later, I visited my OB/GYN for a second screening...I still had the yeast infection. STREESS!! So now I'm CONVINCED of the worst. How could I still have a yeast infection a month after I had treated it with a medicine I got at the clinic? I re-treated it while I waited for my second round of results. Also negative. Stress RELIEF! And guess what? The yeast infection is now gone, as are all of my other "symptoms". Relax. The mind is a very powerful thing; don't let it screw with you. Symptoms are meaningless! Get a test and know for sure. Good Luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170200 - 01/18/06 04:44 AM

Personal expeiences, no. I have the wrong equipement in the trouser dept.!

But here is quite a comprehensive site detailing the potential effects of stress: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm

Note the fact that it says stress causes "immune system suppression: more colds, flu, infections". This is a big issue for WW like you (and me). It is vicious cycle - we get stressed, we get 'symptoms', we get more stressed and so on.

So best to stick to the advice of all good information sources on this matter: assess your risk objectively based on real transmission data and get tested at 13 weeks if your risk was 'real' (as opposed to a protected BJ, being tickled by a lap-dancer or or whatever).

All the best.

Broken_Angel1
Guru

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Arizona
      #170218 - 01/18/06 08:41 AM

I wasn't quite clear on whether you are positive or negative. I will say yeast infection does not equal HIV. Lots of women get them for a variety of reasons. Even women who have never had them before. Could be caused by food, hygiene, or even prescription drugs (amoxicillian does it to me every time). So, try not to stress. I found using an herbal supplement from the health food store called "PB8" (acidopholis) helps clear it up or taken daily keeps it at bay (recurrent problems). I like this supplement because unlike others, it does not need to be kept refrigerated. Good Luck and God Bless!

--------------------
"No act of kindness,
no matter how small,
is ever wasted." AESOP

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170255 - 01/18/06 12:17 PM

hey anxietyme,

i guess we are on the same boat...but my problem is much worse. i had it for 2 godamn years!!!4-5 occasion a year!! and now...finally after all the advise from this forum, i have the courage to get myself tested. will be going in couple of days... wish me luck!

AnxietyMe
Unregistered

#170312 - 01/18/06 08:37 PM

Thanks for responding guys. I went to an Urgent Care, and the doc said she wasn't sure what it was, and prescribed me some antibiodics. She said it might be trich, though I thought I was tested for that after the last time I had vaginal sex. She ran a few tests which will be back in a few days.
Someone asked if i was pos or neg- I was neg at my 6 week test. During that time I did tooooo much online reading about ARS and early symptoms. I know a yeast infection does NOT equal HIV, but am frustrated that I have never had one before, and now after all this worry about HIV symtoms- I get my first one ((maybe)) It's nervewracking. I'm hoping that it was just the stress, and that I brought this on myself. Not good thing to do to ones self I know, I am working on it everyday...... seeking a way to get affordable antidepressants as well (I don't have medical insurance)
Thanks for the advice with the two supplements that were suggested. If this turns out to be yeast- I'll take the advice (though i have already begun antibiodics in case it is something else). If it doesn't, I'll remember it for the future.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3117

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3