Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

ELISA Second Generation!
      #170031 - 01/17/06 02:19 AM

Hello,i am bura, based on one of WW's postings, i notice that the most updated elisa is of the fourth version. After reading this posting, i called up the lab that tested me and they told me that their version was the 2nd generation!! I am so freak out now. My last test was on the 15th January 2006. My exposure was in June 2005 if i am not mistaken.if i am mistaekn then my exposure should be in july 2005. My test so far is non-reactive. I do have symptoms....u can read my previous postings. So what do u think guys? I've talked to the person in charge of lab, he told me that the windows period based on clinical studies shows that the period is from 3 mnths to 240 days. After the 8 months....then it is 100%

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ExWorryWart
Regular

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: ELISA Second Generation! new
      #170062 - 01/17/06 10:59 AM

Man you are testing after 6 months and still freaking out? If you have a primary care doctor, go to him and tell him about your symptoms..no way it is HIV.
WW

--------------------
-ve at 1, 2,3,7 mnths..Free of HIV and OCD now.THANKS to all the BEAUTIFULfriends at TheBody!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170153 - 01/17/06 07:50 PM

The generation of test has some impact in picking up infection early - i.e. in the first few weeks of infection. The 4th Generation test is good at this because it looks for antigens as well as antibodies. But antigens are generally not detectable after about a couple of weeks, I understand.

The short answer to your question is that after about 6 weeks all generations of tests are equally accurate. You will notice that all the recommendations of a 13 week window being sufficient do not say anything about the generation of the test. That is because it absolutely does not matter at that point - they are all going to give completely reliable results. If you think that there was any question about this, do you really believe that the CDC etc. would not mention it or that doctors or indeed labs would not protect their legal position by only using 4th Generation tests?

There is nothing more we can tell you here about your test. It is definitive and you are HIV-. Period. If you cannot accept this, we cannot help much and you really do need to see a mental health professional. Really.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170202 - 01/18/06 05:02 AM

What a complete load of arse! The person in charge of the lab told you that the window period was from 3 months to 240 days.? What was he in charge of? Cleaning the bathrooms???

Let's be 100% clear here. The window period is the time it takes people to develop a detectible level of antibodies. The average time it takes is around 20-25 days, based on what I have read in credible scientific sources. Now there is a lot of debate about just exactly the window period progresses, but it seems clear from all these sources that by 6-8 weeks the VAST majority of people will have detectible antibodies by any generation of test. The remaining period up to 12/13 weeks is to catch the very few unusual cases beyond that.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170325 - 01/18/06 10:02 PM

I really hope that you are right man. I hope that i am not one of the rare people. sigh....pretty stress about it. But frankly dear sir, i really do appreciate all your thoughts (not only yours but others as well), and some words could be harsh...but its ok.....coz for me i am really scared at the moment. The lab people tell me this kind of thing...sigh....Here, there is not really much back up in HIV/AIDS infection.so, the material is limited.Also, most of the websites that i find ...u can say that it is outdated. Thats y i like to come here to listen and debate with you guys coz.....the more i learn the better for me.So bear with me guys!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2807

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3