Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had EVERY symptom related to HIV so depressed
      #169636 - 01/12/06 01:31 PM

Hey guys,

I've had practically every symptom in the past year and I'm hoping to God that it's something else because i'm scared to death to get tested to find out that I'm HIV positive. I've had white tongue, swollen lymph nodes in my throat, diarrhea, abnormal abdominal problems, night sweats, extreme fatigue, the list goes on. I started seeing this guy and had unprotected sex with him, and a month after my first risky encounter I started experiencing these symptoms. Lately I've been having terrible nightmares and will wake up and start crying because im just petrified and almost positive that I have HIV. This all happened a year ago! Is there anything else it could be? I know i have to get tested. I'll appreciate anyones input. Please help!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Seroconcerned
Unregistered

Re: I've had EVERY symptom related to HIV so depre new
      #169659 - 01/12/06 02:38 PM

I'm right there with you man. only thing i can say is every site i have ever read about hiv(its been tons) says symptoms are not reliable in diagnosing hiv. only way to know is to get tested. your on here looking for answers just like myslef. Problem is no answer will help us. we just need to get tested. Im too scared though. good luck.

Seroconcerned
Unregistered

#169660 - 01/12/06 02:38 PM

I'm right there with you man. only thing i can say is every site i have ever read about hiv(its been tons) says symptoms are not reliable in diagnosing hiv. only way to know is to get tested. your on here looking for answers just like myself. Problem is no answer will help us. we just need to get tested. I'm too scared though. good luck.

Seroconcerned
Unregistered

#169663 - 01/12/06 02:45 PM

BTW here are/were my symptoms.

- Sore throat (Very Mild)
- Mouth sores, including candidal infection (I think)
- Muscular stiffness & aching
- Headache
- Diarrhea (Loose Stools)
- Swollen lymph glands
- Fever
- Fatigue
- Rash of various types
- Flu like symptoms (Not sure what the difference between a cold and the flu is.

People who become infected with HIV may have no symptoms for up to 10 years, but they can still transmit the infection to others. Meanwhile, their immune system gradually weakens until they are diagnosed with AIDS. Acute HIV infection progresses over time to asymptomatic HIV infection and then to early symptomatic HIV infection and later, to AIDS.

needadvice82

Reged: 01/12/06
Re: I've had EVERY symptom related to HIV so depressed new
      #169667 - 01/12/06 02:56 PM

I know right now ur very nervous, but the only way to know for sure is to get tested. Also, your just making yourself more sick emontionally just for being nervous b/c of not knowing. You should bring someone with you when u get tested for support a good friend or even family member is always a good thing to have nere you. Also, if u don't want anyone to come with you that you know personally, you can always call a AIDS/HIV hotline and ask if there is a support group in your area and if they can have someone come with you for support. This will also help you if you have any questions or concerns and to have someone there who knows for real what your going through. We are here for you if u need us. Hope everything goes well and get tested! And remember God is on your side.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169669 - 01/12/06 03:07 PM

The worry sucks man. I feel like I would rather not know sometimes. Knowing I have HIV would be terrible. All my life I have heard about it and learned about it in health class and school. I know its a chronic illness that could end up killing me. I never ever in a million years would have guessed that I could have it. I always thought no way in hell. no I am scared I have it and I am almost convinced I have it. So i tell myself I have it and I should just go get tested so i can start HAART. but I have just this tiny little morsel of hope left. Is so little that i cant even find it sometimes. that tiny little thread is the only thing keeping me from testing. my mind set is that as long as i have not tested positive then i don't deff have it yet. out of sight out of mind. hopefully i can scrounge of some courage and go get tested soon. Anyway I wrote too much but hopefully we are both - along with every1 else who is scared.

needadvice82

#169672 - 01/12/06 03:26 PM

I know right now your thinking if u go and get tested the hope will be gone. But don't let hope go, walk in there with hope and with your head up. Remember hope will always be with you if you are or not positive. I known once you get tested you will feel better and this weight will be lefted from you and you will beable to breath again. It takes alot of courage to go and get tested, but do it for yourself and for your own peace of mine. We are here to give u hope.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169674 - 01/12/06 03:29 PM

I appreciate that, thanks you. You say i have hope if i test pos. but honestly the only hope i have is that I am NOT pos. so if i am pos where is there hope?

needadvice82

#169676 - 01/12/06 03:42 PM

Of course I want you to test not postive for HIV/AIDS, but if you do test positive for it remember, your still breathing and living. And you are still the same person. And with todays medician and support groups and information about HIV/Aids you can still live your life. Remember your still incharge of your life and can decided to still live by living life one day at a time. And that is were hope comes in, and hope and dream of making a better life for yourself after finding out the results.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169694 - 01/12/06 05:23 PM

If I do test pos i really hope I can have the same outlook at the people on here. What were you first thoughts/impressions right after you tested pos?

Also, most people on here seem to be real close to God. I dont even know if I believe in God. I was raised catholic and everyone in my family believes but we are not very religious. Im sure that "God" can help me through this though. I am so unsure about so many things. I do fear God which is kind of strange but I dont feel like I can ask him for help because first I dont deserve it and second i feel like Im speaking to no one. I dont know im just so confused right now. thanks for the kind words everyone. sorry to the original poster for hijacking this post. you can have one of mine, haha. ;)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169713 - 01/12/06 07:29 PM

So what can one say to a guy that doesn't have the balls to get tested. Are you having unprotected sex with anyone? Are you putting them at risk if you are so sure you have it? I suggest you get your ass down to the health dept. and take a test. more than likly you like millions do NOT have HIV. It does take balls but it also is worth it. just think how great you will feel when you know you are NEG.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #169776 - 01/13/06 01:03 PM

The key is,
If you think you have been infected go see a doctor and get tested, 13 weeks after said exposure is conclusive (if negative you are not infected). Symptoms mean jack doo doo, everything that can be attributed to HIV can be linked to 1000 other things, so you cant go by any, and they don't come and go for years like the other poster said, if you have them at all it is between 2 and 4 weeks and after sero-conversion they go away. If you are having one symptom then another it isn’t HIV, if you get hit, at all, it is like a steamroller and then it is gone. If you are having things that you are trying to pawn off on HIV go see a doctor and let him diagnose you, that is because you are not a doctor, and by saying it can only be HIV without testing could be doing damage to your body because it could be a number of other things that if not treated could kill you much faster than the thought of possibly having the HIV virus.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169989 - 01/16/06 06:44 PM

I feel the same way you do. Although I have been tested and let me tell you it will make you feel a lot better knowing than not knowing!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170115 - 01/17/06 05:01 PM

I am also scared to death to get tested again for HIV. I am married now and my husband and I want to have kids. My husband recently got sick and then I caught his cold, but my cold is a cold i have never had before. If maybe you could or someone out there give me some advice please!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170215 - 01/18/06 07:40 AM

Your husband, yes might have contacted flu, and form the beginning of time we know that cold is contagious and any one can catch it aspecially if your living with the person 24/7 in the same household. Sis you dont have to be scared, go to the doctor and get the green anti-biotics and within a week you will be fine. Your concern is not about the cold.What i have picked up from your statement is that there is lack of trust between the two parties.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28654

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3