Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Advice from any of you please!!! trust the test?
      #169544 - 01/11/06 07:05 PM

I had a very high risk sexual encounter with a female which later found out to be positive... I got tested 6, 9, 11, and 14 months later, but the last two ones were simple/rapid test (don`t know if they are ELISAs or can be compared). Today I have a swollen gland (left armpit) which hurts a lot when I press it... I had mild fevers, didn't relate them to ARS because they were mild and happened time apart... My girlfriend had some abdominal rash weeks ago... I was sure that I was not infected 'til these symptoms started to show up some weeks ago (the persistent rash on my grilfriend and now my swollen gland). I don't know if I can trust the test... I know there are late seroconversion cases, and there are no studies among people infected by sexual contact... So maybe we're stuck in some kind of limbo...

If somebody knows about a well documented case follow up, of anybody infected by sexual contact, please post it! It would help a lot of people...

Today I feel the most miserable person on earth, and I think if you're reading this its maybe because you screwed it too... We should go out and share information with the people... Feels very bad to to think I screwed the life of a very special person...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Advice from any of you please!!! trust the test? new
      #169546 - 01/11/06 07:33 PM

Finding out you slept with someone who is positive must be a bit scary I suppose. You don't mention if you used a condom or not. If you did, it does not matter that she was positive, a condom provides protection. If you did not, still the risk is quite low as female to male transmission is quite difficult.

Anyway, that is irrelevant now because you have tested negative beyond the 12-13 week window recommended by all credible health bodies (CDC, WHO etc.). Your tests show that you are conclusively HIV negative. This is the most important fact. Focus on it.

Simple / rapid tests are just as accurate as ELISAs when it comes to negative results. There is some concern that some of them are TOO sensitive and report too many false positive results, but that is not the issue here.

ANY antibody test taken 12-13 weeks after your last exposure can be considered as definitive. That is why the CDC, WHO etc. do not put any qualifiers on this timeline as regards the type of test (some tests can detect HIV antibodies earlier, but all are equally reliable by this time).

So, you can absolutely rely on your results: YOU ARE NEGATIVE!

Symptoms mean nothing in diagnosing HIV. Anyway, the symptoms you describe are very far away from what is 'typical' for ARS. If they continue to be a concern, go and see a doctor. Did you get tested for other STDs like Clamydia, Gonnorhea etc.? Those are much easier to catch than HIV and you should make sure you don't have an issue there. The testing is simple and at, just like HIV, at this time will be definitive.

But the first thing you need to do is get this irrational fear of HIV out of your head. Yes, maybe you had a risk. But the vast majority of risky events do not result in transmission and your tests prove that this was the case for you. If you cannot get your head around this, then see a mental health consellor because it is also possible that some or all of your symptoms are contributed to or caused by the level of stress you are putting yourself under (for no good reason).

Good luck sorting out the problem. But remember, whatever it is, it is NOT HIV.

ExWorryWart
Guardian

Reged: 12/21/05
      #169548 - 01/11/06 07:38 PM

All i can say is get BOTH of u tested if you feel concerned. ARS after 12-14 weeks is unheard of. Best is to get tested now and after 3 months and use protection in the mean time if you really are concerned and want to get over with.
Regards
WW

--------------------
-ve at 1, 2,3,7 mnths..Free of HIV and OCD now.THANKS to all the BEAUTIFULfriends at TheBody!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169551 - 01/11/06 07:53 PM

Thanks for the advice... Well the fact is that I used a condom but it ripped off, and it was like not using it for at least 10 minutes... I was trusting by tests but now I got some symptoms and the fear came back...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169552 - 01/11/06 07:55 PM

Hey WorryWart,

The guy says that "...I got tested 6, 9, 11, and 14 months later...". If that is after his last unprotected exposure then he absolutely does not need to get tested again for HIV, and he is definitively negative. Agree?

Cheers.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169553 - 01/11/06 08:01 PM

That's all it is - fear. You are going to get numerous illnesses in your life (unless you are very lucky). If, each time you do, you keep going back to this fear and thinking you need to retest for HIV, you are going to drive yourself nuts.

The fact is the HIV tests are incredibly accurate. More accurate than most medical tests. They have to be so, for obvious reasons. If you look at all the data out there and, in particular, at the most up to date HIV websites, they will all tell you that a test at 12-13 weeks is the 'gold standard' and a negative result at this point is not to be doubted.

Relax and move on with your life.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169555 - 01/11/06 08:27 PM

symptom don't mean anything. But the thing is here
"Today I have a swollen gland (left armpit) which hurts a lot when I press it... I had mild fevers, didn't relate them to ARS because they were mild and happened time apart... My girlfriend had some abdominal rash weeks ago... "

not suggesting a mistrust here but gf's started earlier than him...better to get tested one last time? in 13 weeks...i think this is proably what WW is suggesting? am i correct ......ww?
dunno...just thought that...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1719

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3