Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
ExWorryWart
Regular

Reged: 12/21/05
Timeline for ARS - Xanax time?
      #169479 - 01/11/06 01:57 PM

My nature is to worry and hence my name WW. Anyways is the typical timeline of 2-4 weeks correct for ARS symptoms? I tested myself at 5 weeks, not much symptom other than burning urination and dry cough at that time. But about 10 days after testing i get swollen lymph nodes. 3 weeks after testing(now) i have some ulcers in my gum (hot food i had some days back), sore throat and painfully swollen lymphnodes. Not speculating ARS but i never remember having such uncomfortable feeling with my throat that i am having now....any words to calm my anxiety down? I prefer your valuable rational thinking over Xanax.
Regards
WW

--------------------
-ve at 1, 2,3,7 mnths..Free of HIV and OCD now.THANKS to all the BEAUTIFULfriends at TheBody!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ItsFaith
Veteran

Reged: 10/17/05
Re: Timeline for ARS - Xanax time? new
      #169481 - 01/11/06 02:36 PM

WW, sounds to me more like you may have strep or something along those lines. ARS would not start this late...this time of year flu, strep and a host of other infections/bugs are roaming around....You just talked to your doctor....you are okay! Got it??? =)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169484 - 01/11/06 02:43 PM

Dude,

Listen to faith and listen to your doctors. Grace will keep you going my friend. this time of year everyone is getting some kind of flu like symptoms!!

ExWorryWart
Regular

#169499 - 01/11/06 03:38 PM

Thanks folks:
Strep is not an issue as my family doctor tested for it day before yesterday. I am thinking it could be because of burning from hot food. I swallowed a really hot food few days back...I found in the internet that can cause sore throat

". It can also be caused by burns from very hot foods or abrasions from crisp, coarse foods. Chronic coughing and loud talking can also irritate the throat."
[source]: http://www.mindxpansion.com/balance/sorethroat.htm

So, I am still keeping myself together and hoping that it is just bad timing to have this happen to me. can over the counter medicine help with sore throat?
I feel really bad today cause of pain during swallowing.
WW

--------------------
-ve at 1, 2,3,7 mnths..Free of HIV and OCD now.THANKS to all the BEAUTIFULfriends at TheBody!

ItsFaith
Veteran

#169501 - 01/11/06 03:40 PM

Oh sweetie.....stop reading on the internet!!!! You can find anything on the internet and it will freak you out!....you can get a chloraseptic spray to help with the pain.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169504 - 01/11/06 03:43 PM

Can you still see me 8-)

ItsFaith
Veteran

#169505 - 01/11/06 03:44 PM

Yes..I can...and you are still worrying needlessly!!! (been there...know the pain....want to help you avoid it)

shadesofgrey
Veteran

Reged: 12/02/05
      #169527 - 01/11/06 05:29 PM

you are not having ars, one thing you could put in your mind, ars happens 2-4 weeks after exposure, 90 percent have a fever. you my friend have no symptoms of ars and most likely did burn the back of your throat with hot food, i do that all the time. love and peace

ItsFaith
Veteran

#169529 - 01/11/06 05:32 PM

That's some seriously hot food.....tip...blow on it before you eat it!!! ;-)

shadesofgrey
Veteran

Reged: 12/02/05
      #169531 - 01/11/06 05:37 PM

some times i am so hungary i dig into that hot pepperoni pizza

ExWorryWart
Regular

#169534 - 01/11/06 05:47 PM

Yeah it was hot and tastey..thanks for the tip. I am going to put it in deep fridge next time before i eat it LOL...this hurts pretty bad

--------------------

ItsFaith
Veteran

#169535 - 01/11/06 05:48 PM

Eat six small meals a day...will keep you from being too hungry to blow on the boiling hot food...saves you from a nasty burn!!! Or, at least have the pizza delivered....then you are guaranteed that it will be stone cold;.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169550 - 01/11/06 07:49 PM

Hi WorryWart,

Seems you answered your own question about the throat issue! Sounds like this should not be a worry.

On ARS, most websites say within 2-4 weeks. One or two say within 2-6 weeks (presumably catching some rarer late cases). In any event, you are outside both timelines so that should help with the worries, I hope. I also remember reading that the average time to ARS was 14 days, which means a hell of a lot of people get symptoms before that (50% in fact). That seems to tie into the 21-25 days average time to test positive you see stated in most sources, and implies that symptoms after 4 weeks would be rare. The conclusion is that symptoms that appear after 6 weeks are pretty damn sure not to be ARS.

I am on the same timeline as you. 13 weeks will be the second week in February for me too. I tested negative on an ELISA at 6 weeks and then again at 7.5 weeks on a rapid test. I know that these results should be comforting, but I have a bad throat (my doc said strep and gave me antibiotics, but did no test, so I am not sure). This appeared at around the 7th week so, as per the rationale given above, I should not worry about them. But of course, full of guilt and regret as I am, they do worry me.

Finally, what was your exposure? Are you really worrying over something significant, I wonder? In my case, I had sex with a CSW. A condom was used, but I was so drunk I cannot be sure if it was used 'properly'. So that is my problem. How about you?

Sorry if this seems like I am hijacking your thread. I just thought it interesting to compare and to share some thoughts as we seem to be in roughly the same boat.

Cheers.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5337

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3