Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Too early for symptoms?
      #168352 - 01/02/06 06:17 AM

Sorry if this is not allowed here but on the forum it says we can discuss other STI's as well as HIV.

New Years Eve I had an encounter with a guy I had been talking to over the internet. We engaged in oral sex (passive and receptive), him performing analingus on me, fingering and protected anal sex (which didn't go according to plan as he could barely keep an erection meaning he didn't stay inside me long and changed condoms twice before quiting since neither of us could ejaculate)

What worries me is this: During the anal sex (in which we used a lot of water based lubricant) he put the condom on inside out before turning it the proper way and putting it back on. Since there was pre cum present I am worried that I may have somehow tore my anal wall during the foreplay or brief anal sex and the guy got the pre cum on the outside of the condom.

As well as this since that encounter my foreskin has been very tender and seems to react sometimes when I brush it on the inside of my shorts. There hasn't been any discomfort when urinating though. Adding to this I am still feeling some tenderness around my anal area. I read from another poster that STI symptoms would not have appeared this quickly. Is this true? Would these symptoms that I am suffering from be down to something else such an anxiety? I have other symptoms such as tiredness and stomach ache which is causing me not to eat but I think that is more down to anxiety than anything else.

My local GU clinic is only open once a week on Tuesdays so was thinking about going down there tomorrow but would the virus (if I have one) be able to be detected this soon or not?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Too early for symptoms? new
      #168389 - 01/02/06 07:31 PM

The 'symptoms' you mention are indeed too early for HIV. As you say, anxiety is the likely cause. You cannot diagnose HIV infection based on symptoms anyway.

From your description of events, it sounds like you were playing safe and you are, forgive me, clutching at straws to find a credible risk of HIV transmission.

I suspect the whole issue of testing does not really appy other than to settle your worries. However, getting tested now for HIV will serve no purpose (other than perhaps to be sure that you do not have HIV from some prior incident). The official recommendation is that you wait for 13 weeks and then get an antibody test. That will be definative. If you are really worried and cannot wait, an antibody test after 6 weeks is an extremely strong indicator of your status and that might help you to keep calm. Another option is to get a PCR test, however these are not recommended for diagnosic purposes because (a) they are expensive and (b) they have a relatively high rate of 'false positives', one of which would obviously be very damaging to your mental state. A negative PCR test after 28 days would be considered an extremely strong indicator of a negative status, but you would still have to wait until the 13 week antibody test to be 'officially' in the clear as far as the CDC is concerned.

My recommendation: Try not to focus on this, as anxiety can produce some pretty bad outcomes for your mental and physical health. From what you describe your risk is very minimal if it exists at all. If you think it will help get a test at 6 weeks plus and then a definative one at 13 weeks. I fully expect a negative result!

I hope this helps. Happy New Year!

PS: Some other STDs are much easier to catch than HIV. Frankly, that should be more your concern here. So I recommend a full STD panel to put your mind at rest there.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Too early for symptoms? new
      #168397 - 01/02/06 08:08 PM

Hey, yeah I was mainly talking about other std's and not HIV at this moment in time. Would std's show up so soon after a possible exposure. Thanks for the reply.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3325

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3