Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Candi

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: WI, USA
Indeterminate Western Blot test
      #168315 - 01/01/06 12:20 PM

Hello,
To get with my question I will start as I went in for what I thought was a routine check up after sepearting from my husband approximently six months ago, I got an HIV test done by ELISA and it was positive, then my doctor did not know about the Western Blot test, so I went and had that done and it came back indeterminate. My lab results read as this: Weak reactivity at p24, unusual weak reactivity at 40,000 molecular weight. Does this mean a possible HIV Infection? or are all of my symptoms from headache, fever, rash, white tounge, swollen lymph nodes, irregular menses. I am just to scared to go and get the second Western blot test done. I did have strep throat prior to getting the ELISA test done, could that maybe have set it off??

--------------------
Candi

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Indeterminate Western Blot test new
      #168395 - 01/02/06 08:05 PM

I am not an expert. But my understanding is that for a definative diagnosis, a positive ELISA and a positive WB is needed. I also understand that interterminate WBs are not uncommon in negative people (which is why this test is never used as a diagnosic tool by itself).

However, I do strongly urge you to go back a re-test. It is very, very important that you know your status, either to put the worries behind you or to get the medical treatment you need. Remember, HIV is a serious illness, but nowadays it is very much treatable if you get the right medical attention, and the earlier you start to recieve that attention, the better.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2999

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3