Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
scared77
Regular

Reged: 12/13/05
should a four week test bring serious hope?
      #167067 - 12/15/05 03:00 PM

It's been a month after my risky exposure, I am slowly going crazy and I have gotten to the point where I don't think I can really take this any more.

I gotta get tested, do you think a 4 week post exposure test, should be considerably accurate?

hugs to all

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: should a four week test bring serious hope? new
      #167090 - 12/15/05 07:51 PM

hey. first of all what was your risk? Depending on your risk u can be more tranquil with this 4 week test. The AVERAGE seroconversion is 25 days. So if u were to be positive, u are not the average seroconverter, u would be considered a "late" one. furthermore, u are more likely to be negative. i would say, if u did not have unprotected sex or injected a shared needle, or knew the person was POZ, dude, dont worry! just play it safe, ur 4 week test is a GREAT indicator that u are negative.

scared77
Regular

Reged: 12/13/05
      #167095 - 12/15/05 08:22 PM

well thank you for your response, I did have unprotected anal sex
and I am uncircumsiced plus my foreskin was irritated not bleeding or anything but kinda irritated from a previous sexual encounter
though it didnt have any visible open cuts or blood or anything, just mildly irritated from touching it i guess.

the advantage I have is that I was the top or the inserter so my chances of being positive are supposedly drastically reduced.

9 days after my exposure i got tested for HIV and other STD's and they were all negative, I havent had sex ever since, so I know where to track it down in case positive results.

I know the guy so so, more or less and he claims he is hiv free, but he is careless about his sexual habits or so it seems, we met after the incident and he looked pale with shadows under his eyes, and a lot of coughing, plus he looks like he is losing his hair, I don't know what to expect.

this is one of the toughest lessons i have had to learn
I do not want to be positive, I just want to live and move on and learn from this and educated those near me about safe sex.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#167101 - 12/15/05 09:19 PM

please test at 6 weeks , i would not trust a 4 week test

Anonymous
Unregistered

#167111 - 12/15/05 10:59 PM

A 4 week negative is encouraging, but 3 months is still considered definitive. So, get tested again in another 8 weeks, and then you can be absolutely sure, though the odds are really in your favor at this point. Good luck!

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #167118 - 12/16/05 07:11 AM

hi

regards from india

A 4 week negative test should be encouraging , however i would suggest you to test at 6 weeks, since MOST who have got recently infected would test positive within 6 weeks, irrespective of the result you need to test again at 12 weeks for a definitive result.

Goodluck

stay well

take care

god bless you

love ravi

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1980

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3