Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Cris

Reged: 03/16/01
HIV and varying opinions/countries
      #16666 - 03/16/01 12:16 PM

I know 3 months will be the long awaited milestone, and maybe not, maybe I'll to wait 6 months. But what is really troubling me is how different opinions can be on testing.
If i talk to HIV help people here in Paris, they tell me that an ELISA test at 2 months is already 99% definitive that I am not infected and that England and Germany apply the same criteria. I call in Italy (my country of origin) and they tell me, no way, it's 6 months.
How can each country have so different opinions. HIV is the same everywhere, it's not culturally determined I hope.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jocko
Unregistered

Re: HIV and varying opinions/countries new
      #16667 - 03/16/01 12:47 PM

Boy, Cris .... that is frustrating! It's the same with a lot of info. in the U.S. If you call the CDC hotline, they may tell you 3 months is about 95%; if you call the GMHC, they tell you that 6 weeks is 95%. CDC may tell you oral sex is high risk, GMHC will tell you it's practically no risk. It's the same with doctors - there are some around who will say test up to six months (one told me a year) from exposure, and others that say after 12 weeks, you're done. With the conflicting information, it's hard to know which course to take. However, there are few out there who will disagree that an 8 week negative is a good sign - take comfort in that. I think the biggest bummer about this disease is the conflicting information (especially regarding ARS, window period, and testing). My personal belief is sided more towards the GMHC philosophy. They don't seem to be into "scare tactics", and don't appear to be as politically motivated as the CDC. After all, even the CDC is beginning to say that 3 months is probably conclusive. Anyhow, I'm certain EVERYONE on this post can relate with your frustration, and has experienced it as well. Take comfort from you great results, and I bet your 12 week will be neg. as well. Best of luck, my friend!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#16671 - 03/16/01 03:02 PM

You're not rare. If you test negative after three months, you will be negative at six months with the third gen. Elisa. TRUST ME.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#16673 - 03/16/01 04:35 PM

I too am very frustrated by this inconsistent information! The only thing you can be sure of is that the more tests you take and the more time passes, the more certain you are negative and you should feel good about that. I also, tend to favor the information from places that work clinically with HIV people (GMHC, etc.), rather then the AIDS hotline or CDC.

TexGal
Master

Reged: 11/21/00
      #16676 - 03/16/01 05:02 PM

I completely understand the frustration when researching the "window period". It only seems to add to the anxiety that you are already feeling.

I would side with organizations like the GMHC. They are a grassroots organization which was founded in NYC when the epidemic first started and they do not resort to scare tactics such as the CDC. Other states with a high HIV population concur with countries such as Canada, France and England that 3 months is sufficient.

Your 2 month test is an extremely good sign. In less than a month you will be able to put this episode behind you and begin to mentally and emotionally heal. Knowing that your 3 month test is negative will make that 6 month test (if you choose to take it) much easier to go in for since the result will not change.

Stay strong!

Tex

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1463

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3