Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Triple
Unregistered

Hiv 2 or other subtypes
      #16572 - 03/13/01 04:39 PM

I'm back! My negative results were comforting for about 5 days and then the symptoms came peering back into the picture. How prevelant are HIV 2 and the other strains of HIV in the US? I know home access only uses 1st Generation Elisa and it would probably only pick up on Subtype B.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Hiv 2 or other subtypes new
      #16573 - 03/13/01 04:46 PM

triple every person I ever talked to that has HIV told me they had no symptoms
I have asked maybe 10 people and all said same thing NO SYMPTOMS !
you got a neg results on your test I wouldn't worry too much.

TexGal
Master

Reged: 11/21/00
      #16574 - 03/13/01 04:55 PM

Triple...please try to put this behind you. It will take time but it will happen.

HIV2 would only be a concern if you are from West Africa or a sexual or needle sharing partner of a West African. There are less than 100 documented cases of HIV2 in the US.

If it makes you feel better, then take an HIV1/2 combo test. When that comes back negative, please try to mentally and emotionally heal.

Best of luck.

Tex

jocko
Unregistered

#16582 - 03/13/01 08:13 PM

I sympathize with your stress, Triple. Perhaps an Eliza 1-2 Combo would be in your best interest so you can put this to rest. Good luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Home Access detects subtypes new
      #16583 - 03/13/01 09:19 PM

I asked the supervisor at Home Access whether or not their test detects subtypes to HIV-1 and they confirmed that it did. It does not detect HIV-2 or subtype O, however both of these are extremely rare in the U.S.

stef
Regular

Reged: 01/31/01
      #16590 - 03/14/01 12:09 AM

During my dreaded window period, I did endless research on the different strains of HIV. I was convinced I had some new strain yet to be discovered. At any rate, I pulled up this little nugget of info from the CDC regarding HIV-2:

Infection with HIV-2 appears to be rare in the United States and is, largely or entirely, limited to imported cases. HIV-2 infection appears to be most prevalent in West Africa. Persons infected with HIV-2 have also been reported from Central Africa, Western Europe, Canada, and Brazil.

In the United States, all identified HIV-2-infected persons have been West Africans. All evidence suggests that these persons became infected through heterosexual contact with other infected West Africans. All but one of these cases of HIV-2 infection have been reported from northeastern states, reflecting, in part, the settlement pattern of West African expatriates in the United States. Because HIV-1 and HIV-2 are closely related, tests for antibody to one virus may crossreact with antibody to the other (11). Among Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-licensed tests, the sensitivity of HIV-1 EIAs for detecting HIV-2 antibody ranges from approximately 60% to greater than 90%, depending on the specific HIV-1 EIA employed and the clinical status of the infected person (12,13). When tested for antibody to HIV-1, persons infected with HIV-2 may be reactive by EIA but indeterminate or negative by WB (11). Therefore, confirmation of HIV-2 infection requires both HIV-1 and HIV-2 WB testing. Even when both tests are performed, however, HIV-2 may be difficult to differentiate from HIV-1 infections (14). Assays for HIV-1- and HIV-2-specific peptides (15), the polymerase chain reaction procedure (16,17), or viral cultures (18) may be helpful in this situation.

Hope this helps ease your mind, Triple. Chances of an HIV-2 infection are indeed rare unless you fit into the criteria outlined in the above excerpt.

Anonymous
Unregistered

No........ new
      #16607 - 03/14/01 01:57 PM

chance you have Hiv2. Take an Hiv2 test if it makes you feel better. You don't have type O or N or Z or X or anything else. The sooner you understand this, the sooner you will heal. You have a better chance of meeting Elvis tomorrow then having this stuff. Good luck on your quest. You will be fine.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2161

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3