Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Christopher1983
Unregistered

Sorry , it's me again, just a question about blood
      #165311 - 11/26/05 12:55 AM

I just wonder whether the conditions will be different between when the same amount of HIV-infected blood is poured on a flat surface (like on a table) and when blood is poured into a container (like into a glass)

I mean

as the copious amount of blood will spread on the table as the table is flat, the area of exposure is larger. It may take shorter time for the blood to dry and for the HIV to die.

But when the same copious amount of blood is poured into a glass, only the surface layer of blood will have contact with air, and I am sure HIV dies very soon in the surface layer.
But how about the blood beneath the surface layer? The blood is trapped inside the glass and it seems that it will not contact with air, dry up and HIV will not die so easily......

(just image blood in a test tube, of course it won't dry up so easily. If it does, how can medical experts do experiments.)

I know that I may be a bit annoying, but I would like to know the answer for a complete relief.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Sorry , it's me again, just a question about blood new
      #165313 - 11/26/05 01:16 AM

Hi,

I agree with you that when blood is wet, it is infectious. If exposure to air is what kills HIV, then blood transfusions shouldn't cause HIV infection because there is plenty of air in the transfusion bag at least until the blood fills up. Or one could just blow oxygen by the blood right, before it gets transfused into someone else.

Similarly, there's plenty of air in an injection needle. There shouldn't be any need to clean the needle with bleach then.
But there is.

I think what kills HIV is that when the cells that it's in get dry, that's what kills the virus, not exposure to air per se.

Go look at the San Francisco AIDS foundation webpage (sfaf.org) They say that "air" does not kill the virus; but when things are dry, then HIV is killed.

The San Francisco AIDS Foundation runs the California AIDS Hotline and outside of New York City, they would have a lot of experience with HIV/AIDS given their location.

2ndChance
Expert

Reged: 08/09/05
Re: Sorry , it's me again, just a question about b new
      #165324 - 11/26/05 08:15 AM

Can I ask what you were doing with a glass full of HIV infected blood?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#165364 - 11/26/05 07:15 PM

Your thoughts about air and transfusions is wrong. If you have ever given blood you would have seen that the bag is pressed flat at the time of the blood draw. This is because all air has been sucked out of the bag.

When a person is given an injection, you will see the person giving the injection push the plunger up until some fluid comes out of the needle.

The purpose in both cases is to make sure AIR is not in the bag...why....because air in either situation, giving a shot, or giving the blood at a later date, would cause an air bubble, that if injected in a person would kill them. Immediately.

Where do you get your information?

As to the other poster....I ask the same question as has been asked....do you drink glasses of blood on a regular basis?

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #165367 - 11/26/05 07:56 PM

Here is the explanation of why he was concerned from his previous post,

"I just went to a party and drank a glass of beer
but after i finished the beer i found some red stain in the glass

I just fear that it was blood and the worst situation was that

a HIV+ man vomited a considerable amount of blood in the glass at the previous night, and the glass was used again without any washing procedure. I am afraid that the blood was mixed with the beer and I carelessly drank it. Was there a chance for me to be infected with HIV in that way

(assuming that the blood stayed in the glass overnight , i.e, more than 12 hours, without being cleaned)

I am thinking of having a test 3 months later, or need I do that?

I am from Hong Kong, China, and sorry for my poor English "

In that scenario there is no chance of HIV living, it is imposable for the HIV virus to live in that kind of an environment and infect you.

2ndChance
Expert

Reged: 08/09/05
      #165372 - 11/26/05 08:11 PM

This is intended not to offend anyone but people need to read up on how the virus can be contracted.

Masturbating with panties and now someone scared a person with HIV has vomited into a glass. I mean wtf?

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #165381 - 11/26/05 11:44 PM

It doesn't matter how many times you explain that it could have happened. "blood at the top of the glass, or blood at the bottom of a glass"....YOU are assuming the blood on the bottom is infectious.....and THAT is not the case. That spill of blood HAS been exposed to air no matter how you look at it, for several hours.....so even if not DRY....the virus would have been dead.
I do find it a bit strange that you would pick up a glass....see dripping blood in it, sure maybe be a bit curious, then pour your drink on top of it and drink it!! THEN worry yourself about hiv. again....even the blood on the bottom of the glass, even if it contained hiv....has died in the amount of time you are talking about. stop worrying about hiv, this is not a form of transmission.

Debbie

Bhammer40
Unregistered

#165417 - 11/27/05 05:18 PM

I suggest you stay away from any blood that isn’t your own. But if you must handle a cup-o-platelets I would assume that the fragile HIV virus would be found dead on the top of the glass all the way down to the last drop. Maybe this question should best be left for our local vampire to worry with. As for test tubes they have a preservative in the tube that keeps the blood from spoiling; not sure if it keeps the virus alive, but they are testing for proteins and RNA information rather than living viruses anyhow. There are not the worse things that could be in that glass… like Hepatitis A, B or C that could live much longer outside of the host’s body; so it is best to dawn those bright pink extra thick rubber kitchen gloves and wash and bleach that vampyric beverage as soon as you can or avoid it all together until it clots and molds and then you can just bury it in the back yard deep enough for future anthropologists to worry with. Best-o-luck

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2304

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3