Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

strands
      #165179 - 11/24/05 03:08 PM

how many strands of hiv are there? and does transmission vary ?? for example , is it easier to get a different strand of hiv thru kissing, blowjobs, etc?? just curious.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: strands new
      #165209 - 11/25/05 02:03 AM

hi

regards from india

I presume you are asking regarding various strains of HIV,

There are two types of HIV: HIV-1 and HIV-2. Both types are transmitted by sexual contact, through blood, and from mother to child, and they appear to cause clinically indistinguishable AIDS. However, it seems that HIV-2 is less easily transmitted, and the period between initial infection and illness is longer in the case of HIV-2.

Worldwide, the predominant virus is HIV-1, and generally when people refer to HIV without specifying the type of virus they will be referring to HIV-1. The relatively uncommon HIV-2 type is concentrated in West Africa and is rarely found elsewhere.

The strains of HIV-1 can be classified into three groups : the "major" group M, the "outlier" group O and the "new" group N. These three groups may represent three separate introductions of simian immunodeficiency virus into humans.

Group O appears to be restricted to west-central Africa and group N - discovered in 1998 in Cameroon - is extremely rare. More than 90% of HIV-1 infections belong to HIV-1 group M and, unless specified, the rest of this page will relate to HIV-1 group M only.

Within group M there are known to be at least nine genetically different subtypes of HIV-1. These are subtypes A, B, C, D, F, G, H, J and K.

Hope this helps!

take care

god bless you

stay well

love ravi

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 963

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3