Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
birdiman

Reged: 03/08/01
Night Sweats ???
      #16503 - 03/11/01 04:23 AM

Hello all,

I am just looking for some opinions of some people that are living through the same thing as I am. I hope a few of you will find time to answer me. Last night I had a case of night sweats. I have been having them on and off for the last 5 months or so but this was the first time in about 3 weeks. They are not severe and drenching as I read about with HIV, just my hair gets a bit damp. I had a high risk exposure about 5 months ago and have been living with fear ever since. Can night sweats like this be caused by stress and anxiety?? they started just a week or two after my incident and have been on and off for the last 5 months (along with alot of other little symptoms that I have seen in that time). The one thing I have going for me is that they seem to come on when I am thinking about what I did and the situation I am in. Yesterday, with nothing better to do I spent about 6 or 7 hours on the net researching HIV (I know, pretty dumb) then last night with it fresh on my mind the sweats are back.
I thought I was just about out of the woods with this having just 3 weeks ago recieved a 4 month (16 week) Negitive test result. I was feelling great about that until I went onto the net and read that the test I took was a first generation ELISA (home access) and is not accurate. Now I am freaking out and back to square one again.
what does anyone out there think. Is this latest test, although maybe not conclusive, a very accurate test and I should relax. Should night sweats be happening at just 5 months, well after the usual ARS. Although I thought I was seroconverting many times over the last 5 months I never had the usual ARS you hear about with the FLU like symptoms. Could it all be in my head?? I am in Germany right and have no one to really talk to about this.
Any info anyone can provide would be nice. Or if you just want to talk e-mail me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jocko
Unregistered

Re: Night Sweats ??? new
      #16507 - 03/11/01 10:47 AM

My friend,
I am in a similar situation; although my nerves are beginning to calm down. I have actually been here a few times - absolutely convinced I have HIV. When I receive the test results, they are comforting, but then small "seedlings" of thoughts come into my head which eventually grow into "Redwood Trees"! This time,I have tested on two different ocassions: 34 days - Eliza, p24 antigen, viral load (all negative/undectable), and 58 days - Eliza, viral load (all neg./ undectable). However, a lot of my symptoms are persisting, such as mild night sweats, sore muscles, hands going numb at night, fatigue, cough, etc. In the back of my mind, a little voice tells me that I still have HIV. (After all, I had brief, unprotected anal sex with an HIV+ person .... maybe I think I deserve it?). But, birdman, I have been here before as well - four years ago. I was convinced that I had it, and that my tests were wrong .... but I eventually believed. As I've been thinking about this, I'm starting to believe that maybe it's going to actually take a little WORK to dig myself out of this mental "hole" I've dug for myself - I convinced my body it had HIV for a long time - it just may take some time to convince it I'm O.K.; I can't expect six weeks of constant anxiety to vanish like a fart in the wind! My obsessing put me here, so I'm going to have to be strong and get out. I suggest we both begin to look at the facts - yours evn look better than mine ..... you have a 16 week negative .... that is AWESOME. You seem to have a rather obsessive personality ..... I can relate! You get more symptoms when you surf the net all day reading about HIV .... again, I can relate. If you need to get one more Eliza to put you at ease, then maybe you should do it. But, when it's neg., don't be surprised if those little "seedlings" of thoughts come back into your mind and begin grow. As for me, I'm going to get another test at 3 months, but in the meantime, I'm going to try and work to dig myself out of this mental hole. I'm going to go to counseling and try to face this obsessive/compulsive stuff that I've been dealing with for years. Be well, my friend ... and feel free to e-mail me at [removed by editor].

Anonymous
Unregistered

#16513 - 03/11/01 11:22 PM

Birdiman, I suggest you go get a HIV 1 & 2 combo test today. The reason is to put yourself at rest to all possibility. This is a latest test and cover all odds. By the way, it is highly unlikely that you will have HIV because the 1st generation test will at least show indeterminate result at 16 weeks IF there is something there. Test is very sensitive. The night sweat, is stress, no doubt about it. I have it on and off even after one year. It is normal after you have experienced such a kind of terrible time.
Take a rest and relax!!

birdiman

Reged: 03/08/01
      #16520 - 03/12/01 09:55 AM

Jocko ,

thanks. I needed that. I know I am still freaking out and I am DEEP into this window and still testing negitive, which is a good sign. It's tough to just drop it as I am sure you know. looks like I need to get a shovel and start dig myself ot of this mental hole as well.
I will still test at 6 months just to be sure since that is what the CDC says and I need to make sure so I do not infect other people in case I am the 1 in a million that take this long but I am feeling alot better about that final test right now and think that I just might get out of this. after that I am done !!!!

Thanks again, You have given me alot to think about.

Anonymous
Unregistered

No Chance. new
      #16521 - 03/12/01 11:45 AM

You don't have hiv2. There is no way unless you slept with a west african. I would be willing to bet my life on it. Hiv1 testing is good enough.

JTAnon
Regular

Reged: 01/29/01
      #16524 - 03/12/01 12:40 PM

Birdiman,

Take comfort in your 16 week test result - you are negative.

I suspect your problem is a psychosomatic one caused by HIV related anxiety.

You've gotten some good advice here. Act on it before your mind gets the best of you. You will never be able to replace the part of your life that you've spent worrying about whether you have HIV or not.

Important thing to remember. Symptoms of HIV infection do not come and go as you describe. They come, stay and leave. Then the person becomes asymptomatic.

You are negative. The 16 week test told you that and you are not believing it. Seek the help of a professional with what I believe you ARE suffering from - HIV related anxiety.

I think you've answered that question yourself. I gathered that by reading your post.

Take care and God Bless.

JTAnon

Jocko
Unregistered

#16526 - 03/12/01 01:44 PM

Birdiman,
Breathe deeply, my friend! Everything looks awesome so far. I tend to agree with a lot of people, which is you probably don't even need the 6 month test .... but, if you personally need that for your own comfort, then do it. However, since you have several weeks until your 6 month mark, I encourage you to work daily to "dig yourself out of this hole". I'll be digging as well ... so feel free to e-mail me. Try some positive things: helping people out, exercise, writing down things you're grateful for, volunteer work, exercise, prayer, meditation, counseling, etc. I have a feeling that if you're doing this in the next several weeks, you may not even need the 6 month test because you will be in a totally different place! Until then, best of luck, and I hope to hear from you.
Take care!
jocko

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2168

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3