Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ScaredWreck
Unregistered

Stressed about getting infected.
      #164247 - 11/16/05 01:59 AM

I had an unprotected anal sex with another gay male about 3 weeks ago. Iíve been worried sick since then and been looking the internet like crazy for more HIV information. I found this forum from those search and found it to be very helpful and very supportive. I want to see if anyone has been in the same situation and can share words or stories. It was my first unprotected sex and I was an insertive partner. In my life, Iíve had anal sex no more than 5-6 times and everytime I was an insertive and procted so this is driving me insane. The guy was telling me he was negative but I kept thinking how could that be if he had an unprotected sex with me. Iíve been so stressed out the first two weeks and get sick with headaches, sinus infection, low grade fever and depressed which makes it even worse when I have read about ARS as early symptoms. I plan to get tested in the next two weeks when it would reach week 5 after possible exposure. I plan to go for anonymous testing at local health clinic which I think they use rapid test oralquick blood test. I would appreciate if anyone has any advice or can share the same story and how you get thru or how your test result came out. How accurate is 5 week test? Regardless if itís negative I think Iím going to get tested at 10 weeks or 12 weeks again. Thanks in advance for any advice and support. I need to gather enough courage within the next two weeks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
Re: Stressed about getting infected. new
      #164261 - 11/16/05 08:58 AM

I'm sorry you have to go through this right now. I know how scared you must be. First, as I'm sure you've read here, so forgive me for being repetative, symptoms do NOT equal HIV. A sinsu infection is not indicative of ARS....the fever is most likely from that. I would test at six weeks, a neg there is a great sign....but then test again at 13 for total assurance. But, one thing you should remember....just because he had unprotected sex with you doesn't mean he is HIV positive. (you had it with him and you were neg right?) Good Luck...we are here if you need to talk. I'll keep you in my prayers.

SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
      #164276 - 11/16/05 10:04 AM

Well, look at it this way -- it's ALWAYS better to know your HIV status, and the odds are in your favor that you're still negative. (Although the insertive partner in anal sex has some risk, the receptive partner is at greater risk for infection.) You are doing the right thing to get tested. You should wait until 13 weeks for an accurate test, though getting one earlier might give you some peace of mind.

ScaredWreck
Unregistered

#164280 - 11/16/05 11:07 AM

Thanks Steve. Yes, i'm hoping that first he is negative as he said he was and that the risk was insertive partner was lower than receptive and i hope there was no blood involved and i don't have any open cut or sore or anything. Thanks for your advice. I'm planning to test more than once if it comes out negative at week 5. I'm going to call the local clinc today or tomorrow to schedule the test in two weeks. It's scary but like you said it's the right thing for me if i want to get it all behind me. How often the gay males get thier HIV test in terms of what how often they should vs. how often they actually get tested?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#164282 - 11/16/05 11:14 AM

faith123, Thanks for the kind wods. That's what i'm hoping that it wasn't ARS and just the stress that caused all this symptom and the lack of sleeep. You're right that he could still be negative with the unprotected sex and i'm praying the he is for his own sake in the future. He was young and seems to not be careful in terms of sexaul actvity (from what we engaged in sexual activity that time), so that factor worries me. Regardless, i plan to take the test mor than once if the first time comes out negative. I just need to get a peace of mind at 5 weeks. I can't think how scary it would be to walk into the clinic, get the test and wait for the result. Thanks very much for your kind words.

ItsFaith
Legend

#164284 - 11/16/05 11:28 AM

I won't bullshit you....getting the test and waiting for the results is very hard. I went to my regular doctor and had to wait over a week for the results....THAT SUCKED. (I was neg despite the fact that I was sure I had it...had symptoms, blah blah blah...) I know you are scared...but you are doing the right thing to get tested......and then when you get your neg back (I'm praying for you) Always play safe....K? As for your young partner....he may be young wild and crazy....but behavior like that will eventually catch up with him...if not HIV, something. So, I pray for his sake he slows up and reigns it in a little...playing is one thing...playing irresponsibly is another.

ScaredWreck
Unregistered

#164293 - 11/16/05 12:27 PM

Thanks again, faith123. If you don't mind, could you share your story? What was the incident and how did the process go through for you from waiting, testing and getting the result back? thanks for sharing. It helps to hear from other's experience.

ItsFaith
Legend

#164298 - 11/16/05 12:37 PM

I had unprotected sex with a partner of unknown status (vaginal intercourse). Started worrying immediately. I had little things like I'd see a spot on my arm and swear it was a rash....I had headaches (most likely from hours on the internet looking up HIV symptoms), was constantly checking my body for rashes...my mouth for thrush....it was borderline OCD. I finally went to my doctor and told them about the incident....they said not to worry...they were sure I was fine....but that doesn't make anyone feel better. so I asked for a test and wooo hoo, it was neg....but the wait for the results was HELL on earth. I cried, and didn't sleep. I felt like I could not go on...each day was a struggle. This board helped sooooo much from beginning to end. The people here are so kind and caring and every once in a while will make you laugh when you need it most. So many people come here worried...and end up being fine (hence the term worried well). I'm sure we will add you to the list soon....be strong....if you have a good friend, confide in them if you are comfortable...having someone to be there when you freak out is priceless.

ScaredWreck
Unregistered

#164317 - 11/16/05 02:12 PM

how long did it pass before you went to see the doctor and get tested? Why did the doctors said they were sure you were fine? I mean what was their reasoning? What kind of test did the doctor gave to you? Thanks again for replying, it really helps a lot in terms of support. I'd really appreciate this.

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #164323 - 11/16/05 02:42 PM

i wish you the best with your test. i am sure that you will be fine. i know it is easier said than done, but try real hard to not worry too much between now and when you do go test. stress will make you think you have every symptom of hiv, chronic or not. if you are reading about symptoms, that makes it even worse! i know my story is a rare story, but my husband was + and we did not know until it was too late for me........ but with your circumstances being different than mine, i am sure that you will be fine. these next 2 weeks will take alot out of you, not only physically, but mentally also. try not to let the what if's weigh you down. i know when it seems like the world is falling a part, it is so easy to get trapped in the negative what if's, but you have to remember the positive what if's also. you know the what if you are negative??? life is so precious and most of us take it for granted, i know i do on a daily basis. i know right now it probably seems like the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off due to a recent power shortage, but don't despair, because all of us has our own light to shine regardless of hiv + or not. i am so glad that you have came here. there are so many wonderful people that will help you get through this. they may not be with you in the flesh, but believe me they are with you in spirit.... every time i think i am about to throw in the towel, i hear faith and deb in the back of my mind telling me to pick up myself or they are going to kick my fanny!!!!
if ever you need to talk.... someone will always be here. our prayers are with you.
love
daisey

ItsFaith
Legend

#164324 - 11/16/05 02:43 PM

I saw the doctor at 12 weeks. The doctor's office assure me I was fine for several reasons.....first they said that it is a difficult virus to transmit....it isn't as easy to catch as everyone thinks (even if you are with a pos person) and, he said our area is a low incidence area...not very common around these parts so the chance of the person being infected was slim to begin with. The doctor gave me a standard blood test (not the Oraquick test). so it took a while for the results to come back. I know it helps to not feel so alone.

ItsFaith
Legend

#164326 - 11/16/05 02:45 PM

Daisey...be careful when you tell someone we will always be here...remember Chris...he got very upset when no one was around on Sunday!!!!! To the poster.....sometimes (very rarely I might add) we are slow to responsd......but we will in a while, I promise!!!!

ScaredWreck
Unregistered

#164330 - 11/16/05 03:26 PM

Daisey, i'd really appreciate your words and support. I'll keep reading this board to connect to others either giving them support or getting one. I also wish all the best for you.

ScaredWreck
Unregistered

#164331 - 11/16/05 03:29 PM

Thanks for sharing your story. I think i'm doing better w/ handling the stress now and hopefully till i get tested in the next two weeks. i'll keep reading or posting in the forum to give supports to other or get one for myself when i needed. I hope to find more info on the oraquick rapid test on this board since i went to orasure website and it didn't have much information on there.

ItsFaith
Legend

#164332 - 11/16/05 03:36 PM

these boards are full of information....search the archives....look to Dr. Bob...he is a wealth of information AND funny as heck. When I felt really awful i would read his site and so many times he made me smile from =ear to ear....just his happy smilin g face in his photo was enuff to make me smile. And some of his comments had me cracking up. That was about the only laughing I did for a long time....I will pray for you that you get through these next few weeks with as little stress as possible and that all is well on the results end.

Much luv and prayers,

Faith

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3627

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3