Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doctor told me to come back
      #164212 - 11/15/05 04:37 PM

I have tested for HIV about a year ago and it turned out be negative. About the same time I tested for HIV, I found out I have HPV. I haven't had any other HIV tests since then due to the excessive fear. I went to see my doctor last tuesday for Pap smear. She called me today and told me that I needed to take follow up test. I am scared if she is going to tell me I have infected HIV. I have been having such a fear everynight that I can't go to sleep. It's not that I am scared of dying, but I am so scared if I will have to hurt my family for the mistakes I have made. I may deserve this but none of my family does. I am so scared. Is there any case that doctor test you for HIV without asking you?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrHappy
Regular

Reged: 10/21/05
Re: Doctor told me to come back new
      #164214 - 11/15/05 05:35 PM

Sweets,

Relax.. First of all a doctor wont test you for HIV unless you ask for it or he asks you if you want to test. A pap smear wont say if you have HIV or not so dont worry. You tested Neg and you still are .. No need to lose sleep!!
Goodnite No worrys..OK

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #164219 - 11/15/05 06:25 PM

Mr. Happy is right....a PAP will not show HIV...If you have put yourself at risk though, you should request another test. This follow up call is not HIV related, your HPV is probably rearing it's nasty head again. A pain in the butt....yep...but treatable.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#164222 - 11/15/05 06:36 PM

Thank you for your reply, MrHappy and Faith. I am very anxious person and take everything negatively. I cried for 1 month even before I got my test result. I promised God that I wouldn't make same mistake again. But about 6 months ago, I had one unprotected sex. I am so stupid and helpless. I have been meaning to go get tested again, but I can't find any courage to go. And now, ironically, I am learning HIV virus and other STD in my classes.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#164232 - 11/15/05 09:43 PM

Personally I am afraid of dying. I am too scared to test. I am hoping I am fine...but I am afraid I am not.

reborn310
Unregistered

#164240 - 11/15/05 10:38 PM

Does anyone how many people take HIV test regulary in US?

ItsFaith
Legend

#164259 - 11/16/05 08:45 AM

If you are scared of dying I would recommend testing. Getting a a test doesn't mean you are going to die...actually quite the opposite....IF you are HIV pos, ignoring it means it will progress untreated and will lead to irepairable harm to your immune system.....if you test now...IF you would test positive, you could treat and save your immune system and live a long happy life. I know it is scary and hard to test, but, like I said....ignorning it won't make it go away....kinda like a parking ticket (as I learned the hard way;-) Anyway...if you are afraid of dying (which you will never avoid by the way) I would test and either know you are neg and be safe from here on out so you never have to worry OR IF you are pos, you can treat and avoid the harm that HIV causes if left untreated.

MrHappy
Regular

Reged: 10/21/05
      #164265 - 11/16/05 09:35 AM

Hi,

Faith gave you some really good information. You didnt mention in your orig post that you had a unprotected sex after your test a year ago. You should test to get this weight off your back. You probally are fine and you wont know that until you test. Why live this way just buckle up and go do it. You can go to a local clinic if your from the U.S. and get a test done in 20 minutes.
Good luck !!

ItsFaith
Legend

#164286 - 11/16/05 11:31 AM

I think I have seen those numbers on the CDC website...but don't remember what they were.

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #164291 - 11/16/05 12:11 PM

doc's can not test you without your permission, so i would not worry about that being the reason why they wanted you to return. definately be tested though. i was scared, as we all have been, but i am glad i know my status.... for if i did not know, then i would just keep worrying about it. i don't like spending my days constantly wondering about the what if's. as for your family, they will understand! we have all done things in our lives we wish we could take back... no one is perfect. we can not undo the past, but we can change the outcome of what our futures may bring. knowing if you have hiv does cause some stress and dealing with your own pain, in your own time, does kind stink, but at least i know that i can control my disease (with meds). if i did not know, then god only knows what my future would be like.
you are stronger than you think, we all are, and i am sure you will come through this just fine. we are all here if ever you need to talk, vent, get a little crazy, or whatever the case may be. let us know how you are doing!
smile..... it does get easier. promise.
love,
daisey

testmeister
All Star

Reged: 11/06/05
      #164560 - 11/18/05 03:36 AM

What you did in the past, you can't go change.
You are either infected or not. Finding out can improve your health and longevity in the long run.

If you are negative, you can get rid of your anxiety and motivate you to be more careful in the future.

If you are positive, you can monitor your health and take action to preserve your health.

There are many drugs (and yes, they can have bad side-effects and hiv can become resistant to them) that can keep most people healthy for 20++ years before developing AIDS. Moreover, there are interesting new treatments lke entry inhibitors, maturation inhibitors, integrase inhibitors, monocolonal antibodies, siRNA (stem cells are genetically engineered to become resistant to HIV) etc etc. not to mention therapeutic vaccines.
It's not like 20 years ago. You found the courage to get tested before, you can do it again.

BTW, it's improbable to get infected in single episode of unprotected vaginal sex (less than 1% risk). Always use condoms since people win the lottery all the time, but most probably you are ok.

Good luck

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2027

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3