Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

needlestick question
      #164019 - 11/13/05 02:14 AM

Do persons infected via needlestick take longer to seroconvert than persons infected in other ways? Also, do IV drug users take longer to seroconvert because they are drug users or because of the way in which they were infected? Does the 13 week window period apply to even IV drug users and needlestick victims? When people say very rarely it takes longer than 6 months to seroconvert, do they mean rarely as in 1/1000, or rarely as in only a few cases documented ever out of millions? Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: needlestick question new
      #164022 - 11/13/05 06:32 AM

12 week window not 13 weeks

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #164040 - 11/13/05 01:34 PM

YES....I'M CONFIDENT THAT A PERSON WOULD RECEIVE AN ACCURATE RESULT IN 12 WEEKS. but to you anonymous poster...who is so technical about SEVEN MORE DAYS--you are NOT relating the TRUTH about what is suggested. IT IS SAID THREE MONTHS, MR TECHNICALITY.....which would calculate as THIRTEEN WEEKS. in the state of MASS it is suggested that you can have an accurate result by week six...but to follow up at the 3 month mark just to be sure. BUT 13 WEEKS IS THREE MONTHS.....

your not even WORTH getting into it with!!

but to the original poster, yes, I would feel confident if at 12 weeks you had a negative result as most people will test posittive by 6 weeks. but if you ask what is suggested by physicians or the cdc....they will say three months.

good luck, and prayers to you
debbie

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
Okay...read this AFTER the other post new
      #164051 - 11/13/05 04:44 PM

Well, I read this AFTER I read Deb's post in another thread...so I'm feeling a little better....but still fill up with tears at the drop of a hat :-( I really thought I was past this being so scared. I don't want it to start again!

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
Re: Okay...read this AFTER the other post new
      #164054 - 11/13/05 05:43 PM

faith...please read my other post. I am sorry. I shouldn't have posted that way. I am NOT implying that if you go at 12 weeks...you need to go at 13!!
I am very confident in the accuracy of a 12 week result.
as i said before...I just dont like "stupid" anonymous post...that says...."shes wrong....seven stinkin days earlier is what is suggested"
and again...have NEVER seen someone test negative at 12, and positive at 13. i would definitly be confident and reasured at 12 weeks. (yes, faith...and also at 11 1/2 weeks). like i said before...if you are here in the state of mass....they say six weeks is enough time. (but again...just for reasurance to follow up at the 3 month mark)...which you have. please....DO NOT think about it!! you ARE negative!

keep up what you do here. it is needed. but you do not need to worry that you may test positive now...because it was 2 weeks later!!

i'm sorry....
love to you
debbie

testmeister
All Star

Reged: 11/06/05
      #164161 - 11/15/05 03:36 AM

The method of transmission makes no difference in the window period. The reason for this is that HIV has a doubling period of less than a day. (Do a google search on "busch, mp hiv markers during infection fda ohrms " ) If you have trouble, write back and I will find the link for you next time. (Busch, MP is a researcher who has done a lot of work on keeping the blood supply safe).

The doubling time of HIV is less than a day, so even if you started with one copy of the virus, in 32 days, you will have 4 Billion copies in your body. There's five liters of blood (that's 5000 milliliters), so even if you started with 1 copy, in a month, you end up with about a million copies/ml) You can see why anyone who is breathing is going to object to that kind of invasion and generate antibodies muy pronto!

(Most HIV viral load tests can measure down to 50 copies/ml to give you an idea of what's a lot). During acute infection up to 100 Million Copies/ml can be seen in some people.

So, it might seem like a person who gets a quart of hiv infected blood would sero-convert faster, but basically HIV grows so fast that it really doesn't matter too much what the starting point is.

The association (possibly) that IVDU seroconvert slower is that they may tended to have abused their immune systems and so it may take longer to mount a defense. In general, they seroconvert as fast as anyone else.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1671

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3