Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fingering and hiv testing
      #163437 - 11/05/05 11:06 PM

Went to club and ended -up fingering one of the ladies, noticed that i had two torn cuticles and small piece if skin peeled back but otherwise no bleeding. Also massaged her nipple with hands and then kissed her chest. May have got some of vaginal fluids on lips/mouth.... Would this be a high risk for HIV... Also would taking a 4th generation Elisa test at 28 day mark be accpetable.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Fingering and hiv testing new
      #163441 - 11/06/05 12:04 AM

Do a search on google or on the body and basically they same the same thing: very low risk.

A RNA PCR viral load +Antibody test would be better at 4 weeks. Watch out for false positive on RNA Viral load. A low number less than 5K/ml should be treated with skepticism and the test re-run.

If you can find a 4th generation test that would be 95% accurate then too, I think - unless you have immune-suppresion, taking immunosuppressant drugs (e.g. after organ transplant) or taken a course of PEP)

Here are the 4th generation (combined antigen/antibody) tests I know of:

VIDAS HIV DUO Ultra (bioMerieux)
Enzymun-Test-HIV-Combi (Boehringer Mannheim)
Vironostika HIV Uni-Form II Ag/AB (Organon Teknika)
AxSYM-HIV Ag/AB (Abbott)
Enzygnost HIV Intergral (Dade Behring Marburg) Genescreen Plus HIV Ag-AB (BioRad)
COBAS Core HIV Combi (Roche Diagnostics GmbH).

These tests detect p24 antigen and hence can detect earlier. However after 4 to 6 weeks, p24 antigen tends to drop off and so the sensitivity of 4th generation is equivalent to 3rd generation after that time frame.

I don't think they are widely deployed in the US (note all European makes). Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Read my other post on window period estimates by generation of test in response.

You are going to be fine.
Good luck.

testmeister

Anonymous
Unregistered

#163453 - 11/06/05 08:40 AM

Some people say that fingering is no risk others say it low risk. And under the circumstance would testing beyond 28 days be needed. very worried that may have caught something but 28 day test while not conlusive was told to me that would be correct. as that Hiv is not passed by fingering, must be vaginal, anal or oral sex to acquire. That 28 day test is indicative what status is current. (or is this test just an idication of my status 28 days ago) Would a test that searches for the virus and check for antibodies and neg a 28 days be a good indicator of taking the test at the six month mark? Test was told to be the most recent in use that search for virus and antibodies, the most sensative on market. So maybe could be a 3rd generation test.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #163454 - 11/06/05 10:16 AM

What you did is not a form of HIV transmission, you did not have any risk.

testmeister
All Star

Reged: 11/06/05
      #163482 - 11/07/05 01:39 AM

Fingering, even with cuticle tear is very low risk; essentially zero risk.

A 4 week test negative is very good news on a 3rd generation test, excellent news on a 4th generation test. If the test facility told you that the test checked for virus proteins (specifically p24 antigen) in addition to antibody, you have lucked out and got a 4th generation "combination" Ag/Ab (antiget/antibody) test.

You should still test out to 12 weeks, but a negative test result on an Ag/Ab test at 4 weeks is really good news. Go read "hivinsite" webpage for further details or do a google search on" hiv 4th generation assay"

You will be fine. Next time, please use a condom to cover your finger.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#163483 - 11/07/05 06:04 AM

4th generation looks for both antigens and antibodies - one of the two would show after round 2/3 weeks

Anonymous
Unregistered

#163568 - 11/08/05 05:47 AM

Another question: i have read that fingering is not a means of transmission but that does not mean that it has not happened. in many ways it could be regarded as "needle stick" that is if cuts/sores are present. My questions is why is fingering not a viable route for tranmission?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4752

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3