Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

FYI, 3rd World Post Was on Aegis.com site
      #16272 - 03/07/01 09:09 PM

The post about the symptoms and their use in assuming ARS was on www.aegis.com, an American website and a well known American HIV/AIDS information site.The article was taken out of the Associated Press (AP) a reputable news agency. The site is www.aegis.com/news/ap/1997/AP971212.html if you wish to look. It quotes Dr. Marv Reitz, an AIDS researcher at the University of Marylandis Institute for Human Virology, "The value of the findings is that if (other testing methods) aren't available, like if you're in a Third World country, you can simply look for these symptoms." I hope this clears a thing or two up, knowing that the site is reputable and has reputable quotes. Any comments?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TexGal
Master

Reged: 11/21/00
Re: FYI, 3rd World Post Was on Aegis.com site new
      #16273 - 03/07/01 09:57 PM

I will clarify my statement a bit more. I am simply restating what has been said by numerous experts in HIV....that you cannot diagnose by symptoms. The article is stating was has been known...many of those with newly acquired HIV will experience an acute retroviral illness with varying degrees of severity within the first couple of weeks. In some countries where testing is not available or not affordable, symptoms are all they have to work with. Especially, if they are being treated for an STD, which the persons involved in the study were. Symptoms or not....nothing is conclusive except an HIV test. And I'm sure these researchers will agree with that.

Just please, do not let this study eat you up inside. Once your mind is focused on something, it is extremely hard to get past that. Is it possible to have night sweats, fever and have HIV?...yes. Is it possible to have none of those symptoms and have HIV?...yes. As many people in this forum have stated from personal experience, you could have every symptom in the book and truly be negative. The mind is a powerful organ. Don't let it take over your life.

I hope that clears up a thing or two....

Best of luck to you.

Tex

Anonymous
Unregistered

#16280 - 03/07/01 11:20 PM

Yeah, it clears up a thing or two. Sorry if I sound antagonistic. I was worried about the mild night sweats since one may get these sweats during a flu, and ARS mimics the flu, so much so that people often mistake ARS for a flu. Also, I became worried that if ARS night sweats are always bed drenching, wouldn't this prompt people to immediate medical care? Anyways, I figured that since people with ARS may have night sweats or may not, then there must be some degree of a continuum from having no sweats to mild sweats to heavy sweats, since ARS presents itself differently in everybody and doesn't always follow a specific path. On a lighter note, I found it funny with the comment that people in Africa don't surf the net for symptoms or research medical books. It was the doctors researching the symptoms for them (most of these people are probably illiterate and don't know much about HIV mechanisms). The study concerned chiefly India and South Asia I believe, and probably Africa. Thanks, though for the comfort. :)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#16281 - 03/07/01 11:33 PM

Just a note ... my friend, I can say with pure 100% honesty that I suffered constant mild night sweats (every night for weeks) when I feared that I had contracted HIV. Every single night, I'd wake up, feel my sweaty neck and chest, look in the mirror, and be UTTERLY convinced that I had HIV. The mind is an unbelievable thing ..... I say this not to discount your concern, but to add my truth.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Did you know? new
      #16293 - 03/08/01 08:48 AM

Just like every symptom of ARS could be a symptom of a whole bunch of different things...so can night sweats. At least 3 reasons for night sweats (and I'm sure there are more). 1) Heavy drinking can cause night sweats. My guess is some of you are probably drinking more than you should at this point in time. 2) Besides hot flashes woman going through menopause can get night sweats. 3) Endocarditis - a bacterial infection of the lining of the heart chambers. It also has symptoms of fever, malaise, headaches...sound familiar? The good news is that this one is really rare something like 5 out of 100,000.

AnomJS
Grand Master

Reged: 11/05/00
NIGHT SWEATS!!!! new
      #16314 - 03/08/01 02:52 PM

Don't worry about night sweats unless they are out of control. I woke up sweating my ass off last night after dreaming of being attacked by a tiger. I watched Tarzan earlier on. I've sweated my ass off for the last 6 months or so. As J said many times after drinking that night as well as nightmares from extreme stress. 3rd world can diagnose by symptoms all they want. If this was a good way to diagnose, I think everyone here would be positive. I had every symptom plus and I've tested negative about 150,000 times in the last 6 months. Have a nice day.

Scarlet
Unregistered

Re: Did you know? new
      #16315 - 03/08/01 03:09 PM

Hi Jackie,
Four years ago I had a high risk exposure. Five weeks afterwards I had fever and bodyache and TERRIBLE DRENCHING NIGHT SWEATS for five nights. Never before in my life did I experience such sweats and never since. I went on to test negative at 3, 6, 12, 18, and 27 months. You might say I was just a little concerned about being infected and not trusting test results. Had it not been for the night sweats, I would have chalked up the rest of the symptons to just a flu but the timing was just too coincidental. To this day I still fear that I have been infected because I don't know what caused those sweats. I try to take some consolation in the fact that even when I resumed donating blood, nothing ever showed up. On the other hand, as I once posted previously, I have strange symptons to this day, including an intensification of them after unprotected intercourse with my husband, leading me to theorize that I infected him and am experiencing re-infection on a regular basis. You'll probably want to scream but these last four years have been the most painful in my entire life.
I commend you for the attention and good advice you give to the worried well on this board.
Scarlet

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1833

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3