Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Worried
Unregistered

HIV symptoms
      #1627 - 04/02/00 11:35 PM

Hello,

About mid February, I noticed was slight swelling of the glands in the upper part of the neck. The glands continue to be slightly swollen.
About mid March, my tongue was slightly swollen too. The symptoms of a swollen tongue are that the teeth ridges are imprinted on the tongue. It makes the tongue looked indented where the tongue touches the teeth.
In May, my armpits had a tingly and slightly painful feeling. The painful feeling would come and go. Now, in July, the stingy painful feeling is mostly present. The arm pits seem a little puffy. These symptoms seem to be getting gradually worse.

I have had HIV tests and visited the doctors. The doctors suggested an HIV tests which was negative.

What concerns me is that I might have HIV, because sometimes it takes a number of months before a positive results appears. Are my symptoms compatible with an HIV infection? If they are compatible with an HIV infection, is it possible still to have a negative HIV test. It makes me nervous when my tongue, neck glands, and arm pits all have symptoms.

Thanks for you help,

Concerned

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Someone
Unregistered

Re: HIV symptoms new
      #1628 - 04/02/00 11:35 PM

Yes, it is possible. Remember, while all of us human beings are about the "same", we are all diffrent. In rare cases HIV testing is positive a year after the initial infection. I would recommend testing using the Polymerase Chain Reaction test (PCP) test, the Antigen test and the standard ELISA test. Suggest this to your doctor, as this is a way to know if you are positive or not, without having to cope with the probability of the "late showing" of antibodies. PCP's are often done 2-6 times, because doctors need to be sure. Now, you need to be sure. These tests are not cheap, they cost hundreds of bucks. If you have medical insurance plan or whatever, go for it. If not... well consider the financial side of the situation and do what you gotta do.

Good luck
Someone

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1629 - 04/02/00 11:35 PM

Thanks for your advice.

I am going to try to get a PCR test. I have had the ELISA test, and it was negative. Since I have lymph gland swelling, I don't want to have to wait possibly six months more. Furthermore, if the swelling is caused by something else, I would like to more aggressively pursue the other disease possibilities. I don't like swollen lymph glands. The arm pits, groin, and the back of my knees can be quite painful too. They're stingy. There seems to be very little information on pain symptoms before the antibodies appear (ELISA negative).

Thanks again,

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1630 - 04/02/00 11:35 PM

hi, i would like to tell you that i have had the EXACT same
symptoms, (pain in underarms, neck, behind knees) i have tested
with red cross, 2 PCR viral load tests(ultrasensitive) , about 10
elisas , you name it AL NEGATIVE for 15 months. I am still worried although ALL of my docs say i am not at risk after all these tests.
Do you mind sharing your risk with us?It may be that you are not at
risk, tell us and we will tell you waht we think.Is the person you were with infected?I didnt knwo if the person i was with was or not.
I wonder if the pain and burning sensations dont come from stress and
reading too much about symptoms. Does anyone think after all my tests
i could still have it?i dont know, but please tell me about you and maybe we can help each other. love, scared 2

Concerned too
Unregistered

#1631 - 04/02/00 11:36 PM

Concerned,
I have very similar symptoms but I've been too scared to get tested and I've been beating myself up for possibly slipping up one time when I was really drunk at college. My first sexual experience. I used a condom, but I'm terrified I was too drunk to use it properly. I also performed oral sex very briefly and had limited contact with vaginal fluids. But I first read about HIV symptoms and have spent the last two months convincing myself I am positive (by matching symptoms, which I know isn't a good idea). Now every little thing that went wrong in the last 5 and a half months, I compare to primary infection symptoms and HIV related causes. I'm driving myself crazy over it, but I'm gonna make myself get tested before I go back to school. Probably home test. Please keep me posted, I know what you're going through.

Concerned Too

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1632 - 04/02/00 11:36 PM

Concerned,

I know just how scary it can be.

1. You should get one of the home tests. "Home Access" has a test that you can purchase in most larger drug stores. If you are nervous about buying it at a local store, find a store that is 10-20 miles from where you live. The tests are really easy to use. The test cost about $50. The test is so easy, you don't even have to take the test home. The test has a little device that pricks the skin to get a couple of drops of blood. The blood is put onto the designated circle. It is allowed to dry for 30 minutes. Then you can put the sample into the shipping envelope and drop it off at a FedEx box to send it to Home Access for testing. Simple and quick.

Be sure to check the expiration date on the box. I bought one that was passed its expiration date. Then I had to buy another one. I pay the extra $10 dollars, so I can use FedEx. I just drop off the large envelope at a FedEx box. The results are ready 2 days later. If you mail it towards the end of the week, you will have to wait 2 more days, since they don't do testing over the weekend.

2. Keep a calendar of your symptoms and testing. The symptoms change with time. I try to keep track of things. I think it helps. This way I can keep track of my progression of symptoms. It might help in deciding what is causing my symptoms, even if it turns out it is not HIV.

Know you feelings,

T--
Unregistered

#1633 - 04/02/00 11:37 PM

So many other infections cause the same symptoms. Has the doctor checked for other STD's? When was your last HIV test?? When was your last exposure, and what made you think you had HIV in the first place? Well all I can tell you is that at 6 months the test is over 99% accurate, and is conclusive at 6 months. Alot of people do continue to test out to a year (im one of them) and im still negetive. The only reason I continued testing is that I READ TOO MUCH ABOUT THE DISEASE. I sponged in all the negetive things that could happen (like testing positive after 6 months) and that took the best of me. Test again if its going to make you feel better, even out to a year if it eases your mind, but dont make it take over your life.

Hope this helps,

T

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1634 - 04/02/00 11:37 PM

Yes, the doctor checked for STDs in early May. I guess that date should be OK to detect most other STDs. My last test was this week. It was negative. If it is not HIV, I still wonder what is causing my symptoms. The reason for my concern was mutual unprotected oral sex in Hawaii in the first part of February. Since then I have had these symptoms.

Thanks - Hopefully it continues negative.

shadow1234567

Reged: 01/26/08
      #235782 - 01/27/08 10:40 PM

About three weeks after a couple incident of unprotected oral sex with high risk women I got a 4 month long sore throat, sever fatigue, and lymph node swelling. This was followed by a continuation of and frequent sore throats and sinus infections, frequent dry cough, and occasional dry mouth, mild fatigue, and diarrhea. About 6 months after exposure noticed a rash w/bumps behind the ears, and has developed into a chronic 1yr old mild itchy rash that has spread in a 4 inch wide ring around the front neck most notable after a hot shower. Most recently I have developed chronic noticeably enlarged and mildly painful lymph node swelling on the right side under the jaw and extending to under the ear. I estimate haven been on antibiotics 12 – 15 times in the last 1.5 years.
Tested negative home HIV at 3m, 6m, 21m; tested negative at Dr. office at 4m and just tested again at 22m(no results yet). My wife appeared to have a seroconversion with high fever 2 weeks after my symptoms started. She has experienced sever fatigue and frequent infections but has never been HIV tested nor have I discussed my infidelity with her. The hard facts are that my 4 month long chronic sore throat, 1+ yr long rash, and now 1+ month chronic lymph node swelling is NOT NORMAL. I will get to the bottom of this my hope is that it is CFS or other unknown none deadly virus, my fear is it is a rare strain of HIV not picked up by ELISA and with rapid progression not the normal 10 years. With hundreds of hr on the net I see a lot of damage be caused by fear of HIV and there is probably 10 people that have periods of sever anxiety do to fear of getting HIV to ever 1 person that actual has it. I think we need more mental heath directed at fear of getting HIV.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7896

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3