Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
testing
Unregistered

Hiv Test Question
      #16267 - 03/07/01 08:17 PM

I have never taken the Hiv test can someone tell me what kind of questions do they ask you and what is the waiting time ? how do you find out the results ? thank you

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TexGal
Master

Reged: 11/21/00
Re: Hiv Test Question new
      #16270 - 03/07/01 08:50 PM

Every clinic/testing facility may differ slightly in their pre/post testing procedures. I can tell you how we do it at the HIV clinic I volunteer at.

A counselor takes you to a private room and begins to run over the basics on HIV and transmission. Then you are asked about risk factors. Such as sex with men, IV drug use, unprotected sex of any kind, condom use...etc. It is very important that you are completely honest in the answering of these questions so that they may accurately assess your risk. They then explain the HIV test and the meanings of a positive, negative and indeterminate result. If you have any questions...feel free to ask. That is what they are there for. The only stupid question is one not asked. You then have your blood drawn and are made an appointment to come back in 2 weeks for your results in person. You then are told, in private your results. If negative, you are given information on how to continue to obtain your negative status..i.e. safer sex, the proper use of latex/polyurethane condoms..etc. If you are positive, they will provide you information on resources for medical care, mental health care, partner notification.

Taking an HIV test is unlike any other test in medicine. There is quite a bit of anxiety and stress involved but it is so worth it. Knowing your status is the beginning of taking control of your health. Positive or negative...knowledge is power!

Best of luck to you!

Tex

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1149

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3