Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
tmjoad

Reged: 10/04/05
Loc: GA
going for test tomorrow
      #161095 - 10/04/05 12:49 AM

A couple weeks ago my doctor scared the crap out of me. At first thought I had a viral infection(fever, sweats, vomiting, aches and pains, plus skin problems i've been seeing a derma. for) They ran blood work, it came back normal, xrays came back normal, then she said it could be HIV. This was over six weeks ago. This weekend i've been feeling fatigued, like i had a fever and like my heart was running a race. Just don't know what to think or feel, just scared. I'm going to a clinic in town for a test, how long will it take to get back the results? and then what next?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: going for test tomorrow new
      #161098 - 10/04/05 01:17 AM

I am having a bad night myself, but you just cracked me up. Why did your doctor take X-rays when you have a virus? Was he trying to see it?.....lmao.....anyway, it helps to know if you had an exposure bc if you lack an exposure then your doc is grasping at straws? Plus, I'm confused bc if you were so sick 6 weeks ago why did you not take the HIV test then? The milestones are 6 wks (good indicator) post last exposure, 3 months (which is conclusive),and 6 months (for those that have compromised immune systems).

From what you have stated so far, your racing heart etc are not symptoms of HIV.

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #161106 - 10/04/05 09:38 AM

it depends on what test they are doing. normal blood test could take from 3 days to a week. heart racing i am sure is just anxiety from the situation. not knowing your situation of possible exposure then it is hard to say whether or not your symptoms are hiv related or not.
as for blood tests they have to do one and it come back positive, then they will do a confirmatory test. that is definitive if the two are positive. if both tests are positive, then you are positive. if the first is positive and the second is negative, you may want to consider repeating your tests. if your test is negative, then you are negative, but i would suggest being retested at 3 months after possible exposure. at that point there would be no mistake.
as for the person who did not know why the doctor would do chest xrays....it so they can rule out possible phnemonia or respiratory infections. you always want to be able to rule out possibilities of other infections before going gung ho on another possibility.
try not to stress yourself out to bad. everything will work out for you.
daisey

tmjoad

Reged: 10/04/05
Loc: GA
      #161143 - 10/04/05 07:00 PM

thanks for encouragment. i've been reading about "the window" on this forum. I know it has to do with possible exposure, but how does "the window" work?

the first time i really became ill was at the beginning of august. I went to a local med center and the oncall doctor said it was a viral infection, gave me something for the nausea and sent me on my way. that lasted about 4-6 days. I felt better for about 3-4 days and then it wiped me out again and i saw my regular doctor, that's when they ran blood tests, xray and my doctor was stumped and spit out HIV like it was nothing at all. ever since then i haven't been able to get back on track. don't know why i didn't get tested then. i guess i thought the doctor was off her rocker. either that or i was in denial of being pos. and need some time to get my arms wrapped around this thing, either way i want to know. neg or pos it will be take me out of the darkness. atleast then i would know where i stand.

sorry for running on. how are you doing? i live in georgia, so the weathers been getting better, the heat is finally leaving us. share anything you want or nothing at all. it's taken me several weeks to admit the possibility of being pos.

thanks again for your kind words

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #161185 - 10/05/05 09:40 AM

from what i can make of the window period, in my own words, is that is the time for your body to either accept hiv or deny hiv. basically it is the time frame that your body converts from good cells to bad cells, if it is going to convert.

the easiest way for me to "get my arms wrapped around this thing" was to just tell myself i was + and then when the test came back -, i could really feel like i had something to celebrate, if it was +, then i would not have to suffer, because i had already had 3 months to deal with the pain and frustration. i knew when my husband told me he was + that i too would eventually come back + also. finding out that he was + scared the living hell out of me. i felt and saw my world crash and burn right before my eyes. it was horrible, but then i decided if i was +, then i was going to make the best of the situation. everything in life is mind over matter and you can either wallow in self doubt, or you can do something about it and change it. enjoy the life you have because you only get one life to do it in.

the weather here in kansas has been good, but is changing as i speak. welcome to kansas. one day it is hot the next it will be 50 degrees out. it is crazy.

i hope you are -. do you know if your partner was + or not?

keep in touch
DAISEY :)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1468

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3