Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

time frame
      #159767 - 09/09/05 04:54 PM

Because ARS comes between 2-6 weeks, and later symptoms of hiv come years later, symptoms that i am feeling 3 months after exposure can not be related to hiv???? please clarify.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: time frame new
      #159768 - 09/09/05 05:21 PM

what is the latest documented ARS case?

Can ARS just consist of one symptom only, or is it a constellation of symptoms?

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: time frame new
      #159771 - 09/09/05 06:52 PM

They do not come one at a time; HIV can not be diagnosed by symptoms because any symptom can be attributed to numerous other things. The only way to know is to get tested at 6 and 13 weeks. If you are having medical problems do not attribute them to "it must be HIV" because you could be doing more damage to yourself by not seeing a physician, it could be something more immediate and just as bad if not worse and more life threatening.

Anonymous
Unregistered

asnwer question new
      #159777 - 09/09/05 07:33 PM

please answer my question though. COULD TEHRE be symptoms after 3 months????/

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: asnwer question new
      #159779 - 09/09/05 07:50 PM

No, symptoms would not come after 3mo. HIV is an active disease and if you had been infected it would immediately start replicating in your body. If a person were to have symptoms it would be in the 2 to 6 week range 95% of the people taking 2 weeks. The only thing that could delay conversion or make a person test HIV+ later than 6 weeks is a highly compromised immune system due to advance chemo therapy.
All this information has been gone over 100's of times in previous posts if you would read back.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: asnwer question- part II new
      #159834 - 09/10/05 10:56 AM

Can a person only have ONE symptom during ARS?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: asnwer question- part II new
      #159838 - 09/10/05 12:22 PM

Thanx Gman:)

SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
Re: asnwer question new
      #159854 - 09/10/05 04:55 PM

Gman, I know you're trying to ease the fears of those who are instistent (beyond all reason) that they're infected. However, I have to dispute your statistics.

When you say "The only thing that could delay conversion or make a person test HIV+ later than 6 weeks is a highly compromised immune system due to advance chemo therapy," you're overstating it a bit. The fact is, everyone needs to wait three months for a definitive test. It doesn't take chemotherapy to make someone take longer than 6 weeks to develop antibodies -- some people are simply slower.

You and I both know the CDC is conservative, but here's the official line: "Most people will develop detectable antibodies within 2 to 8 weeks (the average is 25 days). Even so, there is a chance that some individuals will take longer to develop detectable antibodies. Therefore, if the initial negative HIV test was conducted within the first 3 months after possible exposure, repeat testing should be considered >3 months after the exposure occurred to account for the possibility of a false-negative result. Ninety seven percent will develop antibodies in the first 3 months following the time of their infection."

Sorry to be critical. Overall, you do a great job here.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2145

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3