Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Woody
Unregistered

Blood Donation
      #159043 - 08/24/05 10:33 AM

I'm a male, and I donated blood 13 days after having unprotected vaginal/oral sex with a female of unknown HIV status. I disclosed this with the donation site worker and she informed me that their tests can detect HIV particles at 11 days after possible exposure. I called the donation center and everything was negative. Its been 30 days since the possible exposure. Should I have an HIV test at 3 months to be sure, or is it safe to assume that everything was negative? I'm really getting paranoid about this!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GDog
Regular

Reged: 08/10/05
Re: Blood Donation new
      #159058 - 08/24/05 04:54 PM

Hey Woody,

You've had unprotected sex -- so, I would play it safe and get a test done. A 12 week test would be definitive although if you were to test now (at 4 weeks) and get a negative result -- I think that would certainly be encouraging news.

From what I hear the tests these days are pretty sensitive and most people would develop antibodies 4-6 weeks after exposure. A very small percentage of people could take longer than 6 weeks -- usually due to chemo or other immune system issues.

I know you're probably worried, so why not wait till the 1/2 way point (6 weeks) and then get an HIV test done. I'm sure it'll be negative and at least that will ease your anxiety a little bit. I would recommend you follow-up at the 12 week mark for a definitive test.

Don't worry too much -- the odds are definitely in your favour.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Blood Donation new
      #159066 - 08/24/05 06:47 PM

Good job G;
Only thing I would change is the last test timeline, it is 13 weeks or 86 days or 3mo, that is the CDC and WHO's conclusive final testing time.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1139

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3