Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Needles and Seroconversion
      #158966 - 08/22/05 02:34 AM

Sorry, if this question has been asked. I tried to search. Will a person take longer to seroconvert if that person was infected with a needle rather than through sexual contact? I am afraid I used a dirty needle to IV heroin. I had a test at 15 weeks post. Is this all the testing I need to do. Am I clear. Even if I am, I'd still like to know about my original question. Also, I'm not asking about reglar IV drug users, just about the way in which a person becomes infected.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Needles and Seroconversion new
      #158970 - 08/22/05 07:43 AM

13 weeks is conclusive testing

Anonymous
Unregistered

#158997 - 08/22/05 07:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'd still like to know whether or not the way in which a person is infected has anything to do with time to seroconversion.

shadow1
Veteran

Reged: 12/06/00
      #159007 - 08/23/05 12:46 AM

People with needle stick injuries even when put on PEP will seroconvert by 6 weeks if they have been actually infected with the HIV virus, just like every other person who has an actual risk for HIV. The only people who will take longer with the testing we have in this day and age are those on chemo therapy just like I stated in the post the other day. This also includes people with the scenario you posted the other day about injecting drugs, the only time a person has taken longer to seroconvert is when we had first generation tests and they had been a long time user with there body badly damaged by the drugs they had been injecting. In this day and age with the second, third, and fourth generation they have been able to detect the antibodies much earlier and 99% test HIV+ by 6 weeks if they were actually infected. This is also not saying that if the person is an IV drug user they must be HIV+, the number of users compared to the number actually infected 10000 to 4 in the USA at this time.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1028

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3