Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
kisspanic
Unregistered

MY THEORY on why hiv brings so much fear
      #158853 - 08/18/05 10:30 PM

Why are people SO scared of HIV? Soooooo scared that they get sick for weeks, months, even years suffering stress&anxiety symptoms??? HIV fear does not relate with any other thing in this life; HIV practically means.... death. People are afraid of getting this disease because they see it as their tomb, their death, the end of their lives. Hiv/aids is the only thing that does not have a solution on this planet. Something goes wrong, well, we can overcome it!! We get sick, we get cured!! But hiv/aids?? NO.. im sorry, there is no cure. There IS no solution. its like we are stuck for the rest of our lives cursed with this evilness, and we are going to die with it. I know most people who do get it overcome this flagrant disease, but us who have always seen it only in TV, movies, and the news, never worry about it that much. It is when we THINK we are at risk that our mind begins to worry, we begin to feel abnormal. WHAT IF... what if.... im next??? i mean, theres so many people that have it, why NOT, why not me??? HIV is not easy to catch, but it IS possible, and NO ONE, no one is safe. Because we people have never undergone such a troublesome period in our LIVES, nothing has ever threatened our existence to this extent, nothing has ever seemed to change normality so profusely like the fact that we might, just might have gotten HIV. THAT, my friends, is why we get so SICK with stress and anxiety. and yes, i have read, most of those who do get the virus, do not worry at all and are not afraid of the risks. It is people who are concious, that always protect themselves, who get paranoid under a non-risk or a low risk. There is no cure, but we can prevent this disease from spreading by EDUCATING. Please, please, take care of yourselves, and not undergo this life-deterioriating, irrational, ruinsome, and sickening FEAR, even worse, GET the virus. But as many say, as long as you WEAR a condom and do not share needles, you are safe. kissing i have read is safe, biting i have read has not infected people so oftenly to be considered a risk, being water-ballooned with poop/semen/blood, is safe. Do not waste precious weeks/months of ur life like i have over an irrational fear, though, it is NORMAL for realistic humans to react that way.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
Re: MY THEORY on why hiv brings so much fear new
      #158881 - 08/19/05 01:43 PM

I think you're right -- people are scared because they equate HIV with certain death. But that thinking is faulty. HIV does not equal death -- in fact, far from it. And it is not "the only thing that does not have a solution on this planet." What about lung cancer? What about Lou Gehrig's Disease? What about Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease? There are tons of illnesses that are far WORSE than HIV in terms of prognosis and care.

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
Re: MY THEORY on why hiv brings so much fear new
      #158884 - 08/19/05 02:54 PM

I could say that hiv is also feared by being rejected, and being alone. too many people are searching intensly for love and being loved.....this is what has put them in the risk in the first place. and once infected many believe nobody will love them because of this virus. like they will be alone forever, and still dont look within themselves enough to find why they are worth loving. its the fear of people being afriad to be around them, even family for some, which is awful.
i could also say, hiv right now in my life is not so bad. I see many others who are dying (your right steve) with cancer (no cure) lou gehrics (lost a very good friend).....too many things are far worse, and even treatment is just a prolong of the faiteful ending. hiv is much more treatable than MANY other things. sometimes I consider myself fortunate that "this" is what I have to deal with. because too much more out there, is far worse.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1622

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3