Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

hair loss
      #158549 - 08/12/05 09:14 AM

would hair loss be normal for an infected individual...i am sure someone will just say it's stress

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: hair loss new
      #158556 - 08/12/05 10:44 AM

I don't know hair loss to be either. I do think that syphillis causes hair loss in its later stages.

2ndChance
Expert

Reged: 08/09/05
      #158559 - 08/12/05 12:45 PM

Not with HIV. HIV is a virus so obviously will cause the body to respond. You don't get hair loss during a cold or flu so its obviously not a symptom of HIV.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#158560 - 08/12/05 01:00 PM

[quote]Not with HIV. HIV is a virus so obviously will cause the body to respond. You don't get hair loss during a cold or flu so its obviously not a symptom of HIV. [/quote]

But they are not the same virus, so obviously they don't have the same affects on the body. Hair loss can happen in late stages and even hair changes (http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/139/1/105) That link is from the body's own archive.

Also the medicines used may cause alopecia, which is hair loss. So it may be from your medicine as well

Be well

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #158568 - 08/12/05 02:29 PM

Also, if you have recently had a child alot of women will go thru a period of alopecia after the child is born. (its very common, and usually hereditary). but the hair will grow back. (i dont know if you are a man or woman). but like the last poster has stated, it could also be from your medication, and have you done anything recently...a perm, or color treatment. I lost a lot of hair when first starting meds, then soon after getting a perm.
also, lupus causes hair loss, but it can be treated.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#158599 - 08/13/05 08:49 AM

just to clarify everything, i am a male and i am def. not on any meds for hiv since i have tested negative at 5 months with home access. but stupid me, i thought i was invincible and risked my well-being again, although this time i used protection and nothing abnormal happened, such as condom breakage or anything like that.) but lately, my hair has been rapidly thinning and i may have a small bald spot on my head. this wouldn't happen during ars would it? also, would any other std cause this to happen? thanks

debtex
Legend

#158604 - 08/13/05 11:48 AM

this is not an ARS, and you have tested out 5 months past exposure, continueing to be safe afterward. So this is NOT at all related to hiv.

BUT.....unfortunately, you are a MAN...and balding can occure at any time. is there ANYONE in your family who also deals w/ hair loss. (can be an uncle, or such). I wouldn't worry about hiv, and other std's will not cause hair loss. Have you tested for other stds?

I hate to say that it is common for a man to loose his hair at any age, but you were safe, this is not from hiv. it could just very well be.....just what it is.....you are a man, and you are loosing your hair. (alot of women find that sexy these days)!

and no, you dont think you are invincable....or you wouldn't have worn a condom!! you were safe, and the condom didnt' break. just continue to be safe.

you may be very sexy as a bald man!! its really IN these days!

take care,
debbei

2ndChance
Expert

Reged: 08/09/05
      #158605 - 08/13/05 01:46 PM

[quote]
you may be very sexy as a bald man!! its really IN these days!
[/quote]

Look at Vin Diesel :)

Looks good bald, awful with a head of hair

Anonymous
Unregistered

#158652 - 08/14/05 11:07 PM

hahahah, you guys are great, i agree, being bald isn't so bad, my dad is and my brother is getting there, it's the process of balding that sucks!!! in regards to std tests, i have tested negative for everything but haven't got tested for herpes because the nurse said that i would know it if i had it. but i have never gotten any sores or anything serious in nature...but sometimes i do have some tingling and pains down my legs, also some gastro probs. so i am worried that these could be minor symptoms. i have come to realize that if i do have herpes, then i can move on and be more careful in the future. i just can't get tested because i am oversees and i don't want to jeopardize my stay here. headed back in a couple of months when i will get a full checkup on everything to get it out of my head. i think i should be alright. do you guys know any info on herpes. i hate reading the info on the web that is so vague and general, anyone reading it would think they had an std.

debtex
Legend

#158658 - 08/15/05 08:57 AM

I wouldn't think that herpes would cause hair loss. If you have not every seen it outbreak, it is likely that you do not have herpes. Sounds to me like you are safe (all std test have come back negative).
sometimes before you get an outbreak, you can get stomach pains, but I think the feelings in your legs is not related to an std issue at all.
good luck and be well.
debbie

CindyBrown

Reged: 02/11/14
      #275373 - 02/11/14 06:38 AM

Hair loss may occur due to the certain medications that you may be taking. Hair loss can not be caused due to HIV and that is for sure.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2933

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3